Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going for it at NFCU

tag
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Going for it at NFCU

Okay, I found a way in with NFCU. That said, I am going to join here in the then week and then apply for what I hope will be my highest CL card. I may even apply for OD protection and/or a credit line. Does anyone have a suggested protocol? Should I open a checking account or savings? I already have both at US Bank. Someone mentioned that in order to apply for a credit card you had to have a "share" account. What is that? Also, since I own a small business, I also have the option of opening a businss account. So which of these options would be my best foot forward? What time of account should I open and then what card should I apply for? 

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AAstra
Regular Contributor

Re: Going for it at NFCU

Not sure about most of this since I know nothing of NFCU. I do know that a share account with a CU is simply a checking or savings account. At CU's these accounts are typically referred to as share accounts and I also needed one at my employer's CU.

Can anyone else elaborate on this or NFCU?

Good Luck and cheers!

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 2 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

paging Lexie or Creditaddict... paging Lexie or Creditaddict...

Message 3 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@FinStar wrote:

Haha!  

Message 4 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Haha!  

Just open a checking and savings.... Once you are all set up and have online access you are good to apply for credit card and navcheck.

business is a pain... You have to call and it's sent to the rep in your area who then can email you all the docs which have to be filled out and submitted with business supporting docs and do, etc.

you can apply for business credit card at same time for up to $10k with no docs (maybe personal paychecks) if you want more or credit lines you have to start giving business docs, taxes, etc.... If that's easy and your find with it then probably very worth while!

Message 5 of 14
jobber123rd
Valued Member

@dbutz1109 wrote:

Not sure about most of this since I know nothing of NFCU. I do know that a share account with a CU is simply a checking or savings account. At CU's these accounts are typically referred to as share accounts and I also needed one at my employer's CU.

Can anyone else elaborate on this or NFCU?

Good Luck and cheers!

In the case of NFCU, it's the basic savings account in which you put $5 to establish your membership.

Message 6 of 14
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

And you dont have to have the 5.00 in the savings account to get set up, they will send you a envelope to mail it back or you can send if from your bank to your savings account. Very painless.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 7 of 14
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

Okay, I found a way in with NFCU. That said, I am going to join here in the then week and then apply for what I hope will be my highest CL card. I may even apply for OD protection and/or a credit line. Does anyone have a suggested protocol? Should I open a checking account or savings? I already have both at US Bank. Someone mentioned that in order to apply for a credit card you had to have a "share" account. What is that? Also, since I own a small business, I also have the option of opening a businss account. So which of these options would be my best foot forward? What time of account should I open and then what card should I apply for? 

I started banking with NFCU in May/June and I opened a checking account and a savings. They are now my primary bank and I love them. I also have the cash rewards card and it is fantastic, my highest credit limit yet. As others have mentioned, the share account is the same as any credit union, you have to have $5 in savings that you cannot touch the entire time you are a member. I opened my account over the phone, and I had to go into the branch later and show some documents and give them my $5. I cannot speak to a personal vs a business account as I only have a personal, but I did read on the long NFCU thread that they like to see DD in the checking account for CC approvals. I do have my DD set up, not sure if that helped with my approval but it couldn't have hurt. Also recommend getting the Nav Check if you are approved for the CC. Good luck!

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 8 of 14
kshew97
Valued Member

Apply for everything all at once. I have been a member for almost 2 years now, and when I called in the rep walked me through everything, including suggesting applying for both a Visa and a MC, along with the NavCheck. When I got my Visa approval back, I almost fainted and didnt want to push my luck with anything else. Wish I would have listened, due how HP happy they are. I eventually got the trifecta, but I waited until some INQ's had dropped to re-app. Just do it all at once, and you should only get 2 HP.

Starting Score: 577
Current Score: 742
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

@kshew97 wrote:

Apply for everything all at once. I have been a member for almost 2 years now, and when I called in the rep walked me through everything, including suggesting applying for both a Visa and a MC, along with the NavCheck. When I got my Visa approval back, I almost fainted and didnt want to push my luck with anything else. Wish I would have listened, due how HP happy they are. I eventually got the trifecta, but I waited until some INQ's had dropped to re-app. Just do it all at once, and you should only get 2 HP.

With NFCU always expect a HP for each and every product you apply for. If you open saving, visa, mc and NavChek expect 4 HP's and be happy if it's less. NFCU is HP happy! Congrats on getting in and good luck with your apps!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.