cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from AMEX Green to Platinum. Does it make sense?

tag
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Going from AMEX Green to Platinum. Does it make sense?

I have an AMEX green charge card and gold Delta credit card now. I don't use the green card much, small purchases here and there totaling a few hundred a month. I do like having a charge card "just in case" and the 13 years of backdating alone justifies the $95 AF(which will kick in 3/14). I'm starting to wonder if the extra $355 in AF for the platinum could be justified. Also would I even qualify for the platinum or is the underwriting criteria be same for all charge cards?

I've started traveling more (once or twice a month) and will continue to do so, probably more frequently over the foreseeable future. Because of where I now live I can't get direct flights, I have at least 1 layover, always. I would be able to use the $200 in travel credit easily. That leaves $155, the lounge access is worth that to me. So am I missing anything? It looks like the platinum is a better deal than the green.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Going from AMEX Green to Platinum. Does it make sense?

Well, there's a lot to cover here isn't there?
1. If you can spare the HP you might as well apply for the Plat then cancel the green, in reality it will help your AAoA.
2. This time of year is the best time to app for the Plat because that travel benefit you spoke of is based on the calendar year. $200 in 2013 and $200 again once it hits Jan
3. There are a ton of extra perks as well that might help in your situation but I would check to see if there is a qualifying lounge in the airport you layover @ commonly. That might make those layovers much more bearable.
4. Most people consider the UW for all charge cards to be more or less the same, and if you follow the advice in point 1 it wont hurt you to try anyways (SP if denied)
Message 2 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The UW is the same for charge cards. Only you can tell is the AF is justified by your travel needs. Lounge access and $200 credit is a perk if you fly often enough. The Green is really just a charge card IMO.
Message 3 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@whitesol (sorry I don't know how to quote posts from my phone)

I was under the impression I had to wait 12 before switching. I actually got an email from AMEX a couple months ago promoting the platinum and offering a bunch of MR points, then a follow up email saying sorry we sent that by mistake, you have to wait 12 months. Is canceling the green an opening a platinum a way around the 12 month requirement? Could I get stuck with a canceled green and a denied platinum?

All 3 of the airports I end up at have Delta sky clubs, I can pay $25 for a one time use pass but that adds up quick, especially if I have 2 layovers like I did this week.

Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14

Message 4 of 31
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Many people inside AMEX say it's 12 months because of the CARD act (raising or lowering fees in the first year) however many people have had success on this form PCing all the time from the first week to a few months down the line. It's not really a way around it but it works, just make sure you apply for the plat first before canceling the green so you dont risk not having one or the other.
Message 5 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie

Like I said the $200 credit would get used and the lounge access alone is worth the other $155. I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing as far as having a Platinum card and only charging a couple hundred dollars a month on it. It just doesn't seem to be how the card is intended to be used. I've had the green card since 3/13 and have less than 2000 MR points so far. Is AMEX going to balk at this or do they not care so long as I pay the $450 a year?

Message 6 of 31
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I think you are exactly who AMEX is targeting this card for: The frequent traveler. It's a card for the perks, not the reward structure, and they wont care if you don't put ridiculous amounts of spend on it. As a side note, make sure you look @ the MBZ Plat as well before applying.
Message 7 of 31
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I am going through the same dilema right now, I have the platinum skymiles card for the companion pass.... it's 150/year, so i could upgrade it to the reserve and get the lounges and cancel my green card, but my company flies me AA so i would miss out on those lounges and the 200/year reimbursement....  oh the choices LOL

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 31
adavis425
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

I am going through the same dilema right now, I have the platinum skymiles card for the companion pass.... it's 150/year, so i could upgrade it to the reserve and get the lounges and cancel my green card, but my company flies me AA so i would miss out on those lounges and the 200/year reimbursement....  oh the choices LOL

Is the companion pass no longer available for Delta Gold? I received a reminder email today from AmEx to get my companion pass and I have the DG. Did they cut that out at the gold level??

As to the OP, I would def switch. The lounges make a layover no big deal and the $200 yearly credit knocks down the af. Good luck!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 31
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

From what I understand the companion pass is going away for all cards except the Platinum and Reserve, something else to note the Platinums' companion pass is free vs $99 for the Gold card.  If you actually use the companion pass every year like I do it makes more sense to go with the Platinum.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.