cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from AMEX Green to Platinum. Does it make sense?

tag
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Re: Going from AMEX Green to Platinum. Does it make sense?

@VegasKyle wrote:
Centurion Lounge looks epic! Id find an excuse to go through DFW for that.

People in the traveling world are always finding excuses to have layovers in Vegas and now Dallas just for the Cent Lounges.

Message 21 of 31
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:
@TheClub

At this point I think apping for the Plat before the AF on the green is the plan, I just don't know if they will 1) let me around the 12 month requirement 2) offer me bonus.

As far as the Ameriprise bonus offer, it would do me no good. I hardly use my charge card, $3k in 3mo or whatever for a signup bonus is one thing. I just wouldn't use it enough to take advantage of something like that. That was part of my quandary, I'd be using the card almost solely for the ancillary benefits. That's what I'm trying to weigh against the AF

Totally understand.  

Although you do not plan you utilize all of the incentives (i.e. meeting bonus MR requirements) what is there to lose if the AF will be waived regardless for the first year? Only way you wouldn't be eligible for the "waived AF" is if you currently have or have had an Platinum AMEX within the passed year.

Refer to this link for others testimonials and experiences obtaining the card *read in comments* http://milevalue.com/american-express-platinum-0-annual-fee-link/

IMO it'd be like a 1 year free trial to determined if the card is truly for you. Simply just a recommendation as I'll be taking advantage of this offer in the near future Smiley Happy

SN:  $175 AF is also waived for up to three AUs in the first year! 

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 22 of 31
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@TheClub wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:
@TheClub

At this point I think apping for the Plat before the AF on the green is the plan, I just don't know if they will 1) let me around the 12 month requirement 2) offer me bonus.

As far as the Ameriprise bonus offer, it would do me no good. I hardly use my charge card, $3k in 3mo or whatever for a signup bonus is one thing. I just wouldn't use it enough to take advantage of something like that. That was part of my quandary, I'd be using the card almost solely for the ancillary benefits. That's what I'm trying to weigh against the AF

Totally understand.  

Although you do not plan you utilize all of the incentives (i.e. meeting bonus MR requirements) what is there to lose if the AF will be waived regardless for the first year? Only way you wouldn't be eligible for the "waived AF" is if you currently have or have had an Platinum AMEX within the passed year.

Refer to this link for others testimonials and experiences obtaining the card *read in comments* http://milevalue.com/american-express-platinum-0-annual-fee-link/

IMO it'd be like a 1 year free trial to determined if the card is truly for you. Simply just a recommendation as I'll be taking advantage of this offer in the near future Smiley Happy

Had no idea Ameriprise was so generous!

Message 23 of 31
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

@TheClub wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:
@TheClub

Totally understand.  

Had no idea Ameriprise was so generous!

WOW! This might be the deal that gets me out of the garden! Waived AF ($450) and just for kicks I would add 3 AUs (Waived first year too! $175 x 3 = $525)

Message 24 of 31
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@wHiTeSoL, seriously! If I knew about this I would've gone that route. And then give an additional card to my dog, just for the heck of it!

Oh and FYI, it's $175 for up to 3 additional cards. That means all 3 addtional cards would be $175 total. 

So Primary holder = $450, ACM 1-3 = $175.  How about ACM 4-6? Does anyone know if that's another $175? The limit is probably 3, just a guess though.

Message 25 of 31
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

@@wHiTeSoL, seriously! If I knew about this I would've gone that route. And then give an additional card to my dog, just for the heck of it!

Oh and FYI, it's $175 for up to 3 additional cards. That means all 3 addtional cards would be $175 total. 

So Primary holder = $450, ACM 1-3 = $175.  How about ACM 4-6? Does anyone know if that's another $175? The limit is probably 3, just a guess though.

$450; For up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards, the annual fee is $175. Each Additional Platinum Card, after the first 3 Cards, is $175.

So I guess it's another $175 4+

Message 26 of 31
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Oh ok. So it's $175 EACH from 4 thereafter. Expensive....

Message 27 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

I'm going to call AMEX tomorrow and see what my options are. I don't have any dealings with Ameriprise so I do think that will be an option. Having a green card now seems to preclude me from any current MR bonus offers out there now. Canceling the green card waiting 3 months and apping for the platinum isn't something I want to do, even for 25k or 50k MR points.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 31
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Looks like the Platinum department at AMEX is closed on the weekend. Guess ill update next week.

If I chose to apply for a new platinum card what are my chances of getting the 25k for $2k in 3mo welcome bonus? If so what are the chances something better is on the horizon with the holidays coming up (thinking the 100k bonus that has been offered in the past)? I see a 3 month restriction on the MB 50k offer but not the 25k offer from the AMEX website.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 31
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Can you apply for that $0 Ameriprise version even if you have no assocatiation with them? Also is it an "ameriprise" version of the plat or just the same one they let you apply for on their website.. just with the $0 annual fee? Anyone test these waters?

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.