Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from a store card to a VIsa/MC

tag
MCHammerFan
Established Member

Going from a store card to a VIsa/MC

My little sister a year ago got approved for a Walmart Store card and somehow a few months ago got a CLI to almost 1700 from her original 800. But she has brought up to me that in school she can't even use the walmart card anywhere since it's a store card. She PIF every month so I know she is responsible with her card.

She does have a part time job but her income would be pretty low, so I'm not sure her best options for a new card. The Walmart Discover I thought would be a logical start but, Discover in itself is not widely accepted. At the same time I was thinking of recommending Capital One, since I started off there with no revolving credit history and a part time job. Any ideas on what to use? I'd rather not subject her to cards with an AF or lolwut fees on them.

EXP 787 Equifax 779 TU 768
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Going from a store card to a VIsa/MC

GE does not take requests to graduate cards, you either get the card at first, usually requiring  740+ to get it, or you have to wait usually a year or more. I would recomend she tries with CapOne see if pre-approved, she may get a rewards card with a small $39 AF or a non rewards card with zero AF. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I agree with going for Cap1, reasonable AF and a CL she can learn how to be responsible with.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 8
bobomb01
Established Member

I opened my first credit card in 2007 with a Credit Union Visa... It's a local institution. I started with a $500 limit, no annual fee, 12.9% APR.

Might want to see what is local to you.

FICO: 754, (Walmart TU, 9/4/13)
Wallet: AMEX Gold, and cash.
Chase Freedom (5000), Capital One Venture1 (4750), CU Visa (5000), Discover More (5500), Walmart Discover (7500), Barclays Visa (2000)

Message 4 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

The Paypal Extra Platinum MC is fairly easy to get... It's a MC... Although you run the risk of just gettting a store credit card.
If she has had the WMT Card for more than six months, she should def have a 650-700 CS if she pays in full.
I got the Paypal Plat MC with a 673 FICO 08 and a $2,000 limit. After just 8 months, my limit is $7,000 now. You get 3x pts on all gas/restaurant purchases.
Also, with her Wmt account, she should have access to her TU08 CS.

Hope this helps:-) I'm a college student myself!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 8
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

I would highly recommend the student version of the Citi Forward. It's a no AF Visa. Was my first credit card and the rewards are exceptional for the type of spending done in school. As a student card, it's pretty easy to get approved for, and now that I've graduated I'm still using it for Amazon and restaurant purchases because of the 5x back. Maybe I was just fortunate, but I also got a $4k limit as a sophomore with no history but student loans. It's a great card, and while they haven't increased my CL (to be fair I haven't asked for one), they do occasionally reduce my APR.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 6 of 8
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I would second the above statement. The forward card is very useful for students and the amazon rewards are unbeatable.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 7 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

If she has any income, go for the student version of cards.  Some are harder t. Get than others.  Citibank, wells Fargo, cap one, and discover.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.