Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going on an App Spree

tag
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

Going on an App Spree

I think I can finally go on my first app spree. For me this is like 4-6 cards and nothing crazy but we're closing on a house at the end of this month and 2-4 weeks after that, once I confirm my first payment and all funds transferred, I need some real credit cards.

I have 2 Secured Cards from USAA that report normally w/ a 9.9% APR, these are my only "real" cards. I also have 2 store cards, one from Military Star 10.24% APR and one from Comenity Bank 22.9% APR. 3/4 are under 20% UTIL and the 4th Military Star is at 60%. I'm paying Military Star under 30% and paying off the other 3 after I close so they can post before I app.

4 Student loans are in a "in school deferment" until 2018. Still making payments but its not calculated.

1 Auto Loan in good standing from Wells Fargo. Maybe I should refinance this because its at a 9.9% APR.

I'm looking at 3-4 real credit cards and 2-3 store cards. My income is roughly $60,000 not including my educational benefits from the VA. Just looking for some ideas since anything at this moment is an improvement and I should be at a 650 by the time I go through all of this. Baddies are 1 year old. CO's and CA's are from 2011 and 2012 and paid. They will be dropping off as things are found wrong with their reporting and from GW letters.

Companies I am looking at are Discover, Capital One and Barclaycard. I may even try real USAA cards just not sure if I qualify. AMEX is probably out of my reach. Main concern is cashback benefits, travel benefits and rewards cards.  

Store cards are Lowes and Home Depot. Just figured these would be useful with the house in case anything comes up.

Just want to check my research and have a better idea of what others have gone through in similar situations. Maybe I'm missing a better card.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Going on an App Spree

For your scores and where you are at I think the lenders that you listed would be a good starting point. I would probably app for Barclay first as they are the most HP sensitive out of the lenders you listed. Paying down those cards will hopefully make a BIG difference in your scores. Good luck and keep us posted! Oh, and congrats on the new home!!!!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 3
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

Re: Going on an App Spree

Ok thank you for the tips! I'll do the barclaycard first and try for the discover/discover student afterwards. Capital One and the others should be the easiest. 

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.