Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going over credit limit?

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Going over credit limit?

I know Visa Signature cards say you can go over your limit but has anyone actually done this before? I'm planning on making a purchase and would rather put it on my Visa instead of American Express because of the higher cashback.

I could prepay the card I guess but I am actually curious to see what would happen. PNC said I could do it but I do not want any adverse action because of this. I have read threads about that happening when people do cash advances even though banks encourage it. So, anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Going over credit limit?

I've done this once before and it worked just fine. I simply called in ahead of time saying that I wanted to push through a 24k charge even through my CL was 18200. They asked me a few questions about my purchase and then said it was fine. I made the purchase the next day with no issues. If I didn't call in beforehand though it might have been a different story.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Wow that is a lot. I was only goign over by about $800, my limit is $5200, they did okay the purchase. I just know that even though they may say something they may do another. I wonder just how high they would let one go over.

Message 3 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Wow that is a lot. I was only goign over by about $800, my limit is $5200, they did okay the purchase. I just know that even though they may say something they may do another. I wonder just how high they would let one go over.

That is up to lender to decide. You have to PIF on any amount that is over the CL.

Message 4 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you called and they gave the ok, I wouldn't worry about it.  The card is designed to be used that way.  The only way I would worry about this is if you were in a bad position where you had fallen behind on a bunch of other accounts, and the one account that hadn't taken AA against you was this one.  In that circumstance, I wouldn't want to be drawing attention to myself.  But in normal circumstances, I wouldn't be concerned about this.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It was back in like 2005 I did it with the Nordstrom Visa Signature, They let me go over by about a grand I guess and when the bill came I owed the normal $400ish plus the $1k I went over... I paid the minimum, month or so later when I tried to make a purchase that went over the CL by less then $100 they declined it... I assume that if they are going to allow you to make use of going over CL they are looking for you to pay it off or VERY large payments towards regular balance within the cl or else you just look in trouble... but I wouldn't worry about it if they have okayed it and you can pay a lot back on first month.

Message 6 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a feeling that if I asked for more they still would have been ok with it. They could easily look into my checking account and see that I had the money already there to cover it. If your checking/savings/investment accounts are with a different bank then your CC, it might be another story.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:
I've done this once before and it worked just fine. I simply called in ahead of time saying that I wanted to push through a 24k charge even through my CL was 18200. They asked me a few questions about my purchase and then said it was fine. I made the purchase the next day with no issues. If I didn't call in beforehand though it might have been a different story.

+1 on calling in beforehand.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

My other accounts are fine, this is actually the one I use the most. I always pay before the statement closes. I wouldn't want the other creditors doing a check up and see that I am over the limit on a card. They are my main bank and at a time I kept most of my money there but I have moved most of it elsewhere to earn 4% instead of zero from them. I do keep a good amount in PNC though so I guess that would keep them at ease. I prefer to have a checking account with the credit card for ease of payment, only exception is Chase since they do not service here anymore Smiley Sad.

So I guess I will just go ahead and do it. It was most likely be a one time occurence. Maybe they will even give me an increase afterwards.

Message 9 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

My understanding of the Visa Signature is that one can go over double the hard limit, but whatever is over the limit must be PIF'ed by the due date bringing the balance to under the hard limit.  I'm under the impression that should I opt to utilize this feature, neither the issuer's permission nor advance notice is required.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.