Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going over your limit?

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Going over your limit?

According to my Discover It, there is no fee in going over my limit. However, I never knew one could charge beyond their credit limit. I was in the understanding that let's say ccc "X" gives one 1k, then you cab only charge up to that amount. Any charge after that will be declined. So one could go over their limit? Really? By how much? Will this lead to your lender giving you Cl?

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Going over your limit?

You need to "opt in" in order to go over your limit its part of the new credit card act.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 8
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

The only time I ever went over my limit was because I had a pending gas transaction... it only showed as 1 dollar but when it cleared it was like 50 dollars so it pushed me over my limit. I'd imagine that's the only way to go over- when pending transactions clear and end up pushing you over.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 8
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

It is quite possible to go higher than your limit. Not by charging on it though but if don't keep up with payments the intererst can easily take you up and over the limit.  Not desireable in any sense.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 4 of 8
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Okay, now I understand. Thanks guys! 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 5 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

You need to "opt in" in order to go over your limit its part of the new credit card act.

Not True.   The "opt in" only allows them to charge you a fee for it..   They can choose to accept or decline any charge whether you opt in or not.

Paypal Smart Connect has let me go over my limit by quite a lot and I let it report.  They didn't charge me since I did not opt in. They did not increase my minimun payment to bring it below CL balance.    I PIF and the next month, I got a big CLI.

I think whether they accept or delince depends on creditor and your spending and payment habits.

Message 6 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

Not True.   The "opt in" only allows them to charge you a fee for it..   They can choose to accept or decline any charge whether you opt in or not.

Paypal Smart Connect has let me go over my limit by quite a lot and I let it report.  They didn't charge me since I did not opt in. They did not increase my minimun payment to bring it below CL balance.    I PIF and the next month, I got a big CLI.

I think whether they accept or delince depends on creditor and your spending and payment habits.

Right, so as has been posted here before, opting in really makes little sense: it doesn't guarantee that the charge will go through, just that if it does go through, you will get charged.  And if you don't opt in, the charge might be allowed anyway.

Message 7 of 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Most banks will gladly allow you to charge over your limit. If you do not opt in, you can not be charged a fee for going over. If you opt in and the terms of the card indicate an over limit fee, then you will be charged that fee if you go over. As for the discover it, you may go over your limit as you wish. Just keep in mind that your utilization may be adversely effected.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.