cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Disney. What card(s) to use?

tag
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Going to Disney. What card(s) to use?

** cough cough**  Your count is off, Shogun.Smiley Happy

I'd just like to add to the OP, if you have a Siggy, check and see if you can get any discounts.  I recently got a nice discount booking rooms for family coming to visit for my son's graduation.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 21 of 27
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I use my DIsney Premier at Disney...if you can app for this, there is a $200 cash back statement credit after first purchase via the Disney website.  (I hope this is ok to post?) Mine posted within days of first use, so I had a nice credit on that card to use at Disney (could have used it anywhere; it was a true credit- not Disney Dream Dollars).  My scores were in the 690 range when I apped, and they pulled EQ.

BUT- if I didn't have Disney, I'd use Chase Freedom (or Discover ) if it was during a 5x theme parks time. Otherwise, I'd use my lowest APR card, which is BCP right now.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 22 of 27
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@nursepower wrote:

I'm sorry you felt that way. I read the thread and thought the comment was in jest. Maybe I was wrong. 

I also need to keep in mind APR because I'll be making payments. Amex is a LOT lower than my other cards. 

It was, I was the one that made that comment based on the vast number of high quality tradelines in Maria's signature.

Wasn't intended otherwise, but that's an Internet forum for you and anything that can be taken the wrong way, invariably will.

That said, a lot depends on how much you travel: if you're with Amex airlines / hotels use that, or if you're with Chase ones, use that one instead.  Gift cards rarely wind up being a good use, cash at least on the freedom is 1:1, depending on your Amex card you can likely do better.

Example: I've travelled Southwest for nearly two decades (Chase), but I'm seriously considering if I start travelling again around the western US, switching to Virgin American which is currently in bed with Amex and might make more sense for me.  Also hard to know as I don't think you posted which Amex card you have which makes all the difference in the world.

I recently closed my SW card. Once I realized that I could transfer my CSP UR points to my Southwest RR account without having to have the Chase Southwest card, I decided to transfer the CL to my CSP and close it. I understand that I really gained nothing by closing it, but for some reason I am OCD about the amount of cards I have. Even now I feel like I have too many. I was a little over zealous in the beginning of my credit journey. 

Message 23 of 27
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@Anonymous can buy Disney gift cards @ lowes for 5x UR / $ with your freedom, this can be used to pay for the admission tickets and/or things inside the park. 

+1.   You can use Disney gift cards everywhere in the park, from the Churro stand to the ticket booth.

However, if you're planning on carrying a balance as a result of the trip, you should bear in mind that your interest may offset potential rewards.  That being said, I would get Disney gift cards at Lowes for whatever you can afford to PIF, and then charge the rest on your CC with the lowest APR.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 24 of 27
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@LisaJ wrote:

I use my DIsney Premier at Disney...if you can app for this, there is a $200 cash back statement credit after first purchase via the Disney website.  (I hope this is ok to post?) Mine posted within days of first use, so I had a nice credit on that card to use at Disney (could have used it anywhere; it was a true credit- not Disney Dream Dollars).  My scores were in the 690 range when I apped, and they pulled EQ.

BUT- if I didn't have Disney, I'd use Chase Freedom (or Discover ) if it was during a 5x theme parks time. Otherwise, I'd use my lowest APR card, which is BCP right now.

IME, the Disney restaurants actually code as "restaurants" and not "amusement parks," so a card with enhanced rewards for restaurants could also come in handy.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 25 of 27
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I would definitely tend to go with the person who said the point about the interest. It might negate whatever rewards you get.

It might be in your best interest to take the HP and get a card that will have a longer intro APR... just something to think about. Smiley Wink
Message 26 of 27
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

The Disney CC does offer 6 months 0% interest on Disney Resorts, Disney Tickets booked through WDW or a WDW travel agent.  That is worth considering too.  Not sure if spending in the park and Disney restaurants are included in that 0% for 6 months but it is worth checking out too.

You also get 10% off select merchandise and at select restaurants.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.