cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Thailand - What card to use?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Going to Thailand - What card to use?

I agrre with letting the issuer know. Last year I visited Europe and fotrrgot to call my capital one card and I was able to use and then they blocked the card for fraud protection. It was a bit annoying but that taken care of over the phone.

Cash is your best friend as it avoid you having additional foreign conversions fees etc.

Call your bank and order Thailand currency before leaving. They require a full week advance notice for that.

I would personnaly avoid using my card(s) in an unknown place....card theft is  for tourists.

Message 11 of 15
jbsea
Established Contributor

When I went we used BOA but mostly cash.  much safer and most of the street vendors only took cash.  We stayed in Ao Nang near Krabi town.  You will have a blast and really once you get there you wont need much money everything is sooooo cheap.  Have a GREAT TIME!!!!  and don't forget to let your bank and CCC know.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

they didn't take my discover, CSP, or QS. I would make sure to bring cash, but see if they take an cc. If they don't just use cash. 

What about Amex?

Message 13 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

they didn't take my discover, CSP, or QS. I would make sure to bring cash, but see if they take an cc. If they don't just use cash. 

What about Amex?

i don't know about amex because amex cards i have all have FTF so wasn't going to use them over there. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 15
USF813
Frequent Contributor

OP, I've actually been in Bangkok the last six days. I'm currently in Tokyo waiting on my flight home. You won't need a chip and pin card. Retailers that do take credit card have no problem with standard magnetic strip cards. Be careful using ATMS, as there is a 180 Thai baht fee to withdraw money. It would be wise to bring cash with you because there is no commision fee to exchange dollars to baht, and the larger the bills the better the rate (at least at smaller exchange places in the city), at the airport I didn't notice better terms for larger bills. Exchanging dollars in town might yield a better rate vs. at the airport - but not by much. 

Ensure you have plenty of baht on hand because some places that do take cards impose a minimum charge to use a credit card, 200 baht was the lowest minimum I saw. If you're going to be in Bangkok and use the MTR and/or BTS, please know that the three day pass for the MTR does not work on the BTS, and you will need cash only to purchase tickets, the machines don't accept credit or debit cards, nor do the humans at the airport. 

In all honesty, I found myself using cash most of the time. 

If you visit any pharmacies and need to bring back any prescription drugs, Boots and Watsons are more expensive than indepenent pharmacies but they take credit cards where as the latter is cash only, and make sure it's an air conditioned pharmacy. I nearly died when I saw a contact lens kiosk at the Sala Daeng BTS station selling lenses in the open heat.

Hope this helps.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.