Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to app for Sallie Mae and NASA, need 1 more

tag
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Going to app for Sallie Mae and NASA, need 1 more

So I came out of the garden for a Amex ED and a small installment loan.  The scores in my sig are accurate though I think they should go up a little, I paid a card that reported 65% last month and just reported $0. The ED card will report on the 15th, I know I could take a hit from the new account though the AAoA will go way up and my CL just doubled with the $8k CL they gave me.

I don't have anything bad on my CR, between 2-4 inq, 1 new one on EQ and one on EX the others are 18mo old or so. Income ~$40k. 

I currently have the AMEX Ed, Plat charge card, WF Visa and Discover IT.  I would like to add a cash back visa/mc for the times I'm not able to use AMEX. It looks like the Sallie Mae is a great option for me as I do shop on Amazon a fair amount.  I joined the NASA CU and would like to get a card from them after seeing the results of others on this forum.  I don't think I would use this card as much as adding the available credit would help my credit profile.  

I know the Sallie Mae is a Barclay card, I have looked at their no AF rewards cards and also like the idea of the ring card for the flat %8apr on everything.  Would they be able to process 2 apps off 1 HP? 

Are there any good travel cards that have no AF that would complement the MR points from AMEX and the perks of platinum? I know the CSP is a favorite but I'll wait on that one.  I already have to clear $6k in spending the next 3mo for the amex MR bonuses.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Going to app for Sallie Mae and NASA, need 1 more

Are you eligible for Huntington?  Voice Rewards gives 3% on utilities.  They pull EQ usually.

BoA has Better Balance Rewards.  Even though you aren't in the market for a BT card, you earn $25 quarterly for letting a balance post and paying minimum payment each month.

ETA:  I would only apply for 1 Barclaycard every 4-6 months.  Trying to get 2 at the same time will 98% not happen.

Message 2 of 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

if you shop online or are willing to Upromise is unbeatable in this regard

Message 3 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

if you shop online or are willing to Upromise is unbeatable in this regard

Except, perhaps by Ebates.com Visa. Or Savingstar.com Amex.

Or maybe Discover It, since you can also use the cash back to buy Gift Cards at a discount.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 8
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the help everyone.  I think I'm going to app for the Sallie Mae, NASA and I'm a member of oregon community credit union.  I know a lot of people on this forum jumped on the band wagon with them for the high limits and subsequently had accounts closed.  I live in OR and plan to do some of my banking with them anyhow so I don't foresee running into any problems with them.

In 6-8 months I'll look to add another travel card with a good sign up bonus, maybe CSP or one of the co-branded airline cards. 

Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14

Message 5 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

Did someone mention Duck?? Ooooh that's a bad word around these parts. Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 8
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

No duck for me.  I'm a Beaver.

Like I said, Im not worried about it.  I legitimately qualify for membership in the CU and already have money on deposit with them. I also understand why a small CU or bank would want to limit their exposure after a flood of credit card apps.  

Message 7 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yeah you're fine being an Oregon resident.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.