Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to be late on a CC payment

tag
blackdust
Established Member

Going to be late on a CC payment

My walmart discover card payment is due sunday and I will not be able to pay on the card until monday or tuesday. Should I try to call to see if they will move my due date a couple days? How hard will my score get hit if I am a couple days late?

app free since 11/24/12 In Garden Until December 31st 2013
Walmart Discover 3,000 : Meijer 600 : Local Bank Card 500 : Capital One Platinum 500 : Best Buy Reward Zone 400 : Chase Slate 200
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Going to be late on a CC payment

Late payments don't hit your credit report until 30 days past due. Your score will be fine - your wallet on the other hand...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 15
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Call them and give some reason why you will be a couple days late.  See if they will setup auto payment on Monday and waive the late fees, etc...  Also, you can try to change the due date but I'm not sure if they will push it back for the one that is currently due.  (I wouldn't get in habit of moving due date for a number of reasons, i.e.. more difficult for you to keep track of what your date is, they may see this as an attempt to circumvent paying, etc...)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 15
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

You could avoid late payment fee by paying minimum payment by the due date. Then pay the remainder(or as much as you want) on monday or tuesday which would be before statement cut anyways.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 4 of 15
john398
Senior Contributor

Is there any possible way you can make the min payment online on Sunday, it wiull probably not be drasfted out of your bank tyil Monday anyway or possibly Tuesday

Message 5 of 15
beb86
Valued Contributor

I would pay it anyways on sunday and take a chance of it not posting or even take an OD since it wont report late it will still showed as paid late on the internal systems which could affect future CLIs 

Message 6 of 15
ednajen
New Contributor

Yeah, I would call to see if you can work something out.  Last year when I quit working to finish school I missed the payment, a few days later they cut my credit limit down to the balanaced I owed.

Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 15
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

If you make the payment online late on Sunday, it almost certainly won't post to your checking account until Monday, and maybe even until Tuesday. I say make the minimum payment on Sunday night, to avoid getting a late fee and an APR hike on your CC, then get cash into your account by the close of business on Monday. But keep an eye on your checking account to see when the payment posts; you don't want to have the payment declined.
Message 8 of 15
adavis425
Established Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:
If you make the payment online late on Sunday, it almost certainly won't post to your checking account until Monday, and maybe even until Tuesday. I say make the minimum payment on Sunday night, to avoid getting a late fee and an APR hike on your CC, then get cash into your account by the close of business on Monday. But keep an eye on your checking account to see when the payment posts; you don't want to have the payment declined.

+1

I would definitely pay on Sunday! Even if you pay with a check on Saturday, it won't clear or even post to your checking account before Monday. I wouldn't take the chance of AA-late fee, APR hike- even if the lateness wouldn't hit the CR. I would do whatever I could-borrow it even-to make that payment.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 15
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1000

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.