Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gold Mastercard

Crap IMO. It's just for people that only care about the looks and feel of a card. Don't get me wrong, I love the metal, but not for $995 AF and crappy benefits.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

These cards are bullocks.Robot Happy

Message 12 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Good points here so far... I'll only add that the Barclay high AF cards used to be popular in the military community due to getting the AF waived, but I don't think Barclay is as generous with that now as they once were.  (I've read that SCRA AF waivers for new cardholders was shut down back in 11/2016, but I'm not sure about existing cardholders as of today.)

Without the AF waiver this card will make good financial sense to very, very few people. 

Message 13 of 21
beastykato

I just got this offer in the mail the other day as well.  I thought it was a scam to be honest.  It has no name on it except gold card or whatever it was.  It doesnt excude a luxury feel and there wasnt a good explanation of benefits. 

It looks generic.  I might be real gold and heavy, but that's about it.  If I could somehow get out of the annual fee (military doesn't have to pay the fee) I'd get the card and continually lose it until I could melt enough gold to make a small piece of jewelry.  

Message 14 of 21
Hillbill
Established Member

I have an idiot friend who has this exact card. now in a day where we "swipe" virtually every transaction, except one, restaurants. He will admit he uses it only for the waitresses to compliment him so he can start a conversation, brag a little, which hopefully leads the girl back to his smush room.
He's a trust fund baby so why even care about points, cash back, miles etc. Anywho he always pays for the dinner and if the girls are that gullible, so be it.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wish I had a friend who was a trust fund baby.. Would love someone to pay for my dinner
Message 16 of 21
awp317
Frequent Contributor

I have the black card verison of this. Still 495 annual fee, and I will admit Its purley for sh@! and giggles. I knew it was crap when I applied for it. Its kinda fun to throw it down on the bar at a night club or hand to the starbucks birista and get some oohs and ahhas. I dont use it very often but it def gets a little attention when I do. 500 bucks a year is worth it to me for the little fun it brings. My company has been offered the AMEX black and honestly I think that card is also just a status symble and I figure why not just spend 500 than 7500 a year. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 17 of 21
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

I had the Black Card back when it was just carbon fiber. I agree that the benefits aren't worth the $495 fee. I think my wife got one hotel room upgrade when she put the card on the desk, but that's it. We got the "luxury" gifts every quarter. The first was a pair of cross pens, the second was a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses, the third was a baseball cap. Real luxury. oooooooooh. I got rid of the card before the second annual fee hit. 

The only real benefit is the Priority Pass lounge membership. But of course, other cards offer that and a lot more. 

As far as getting responses, I had one response from a teen at the movie theater. lol  Now, My Citi Thank You preferred card with the LED lights got the most attention. But I'm glad Citi got rid of that card. Seemed too much like a gimmick. 

Message 18 of 21
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Ah yes, the infamous aa king of the chop block routine to it's card customers.

No wonder it went straight to the can today after uncovering the contents of the envelope.

CM7 - Yup. Barclays. Gotta be an awesome feeling to pay that $1K AF and then have them CLD you down to $500 because they got pissed at you for apping for a REAL premium card..  Smiley LOL

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 19 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wish I had a friend who was a trust fund baby.. Would love someone to pay for my dinner

Why not PM Hillbill and see if something can be arranged!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.