Good Bye Wells Fargo

tag
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Re: Good Bye Wells Fargo

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

chrisw1968uk wrote:sit)

I apologise that I got a bit irritated this morning - I just felt that I am a good customer of theirs and hate being nickel & dimed to death

No need to apologize. There was no need to call you a child or entitled in my opinion. And the nickel and dime thing is the reason why I stopped banking with Wells Fargo as well so not surprise at all.

I think its consensus that all big banks will try and nickel and dime you whenever they can lol. 

Yeah definitely! That's why I moved to an online bank many years ago. So much happier now.

Message 41 of 51
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

chrisw1968uk wrote:sit)

I apologise that I got a bit irritated this morning - I just felt that I am a good customer of theirs and hate being nickel & dimed to death

No need to apologize. There was no need to call you a child or entitled in my opinion. And the nickel and dime thing is the reason why I stopped banking with Wells Fargo as well so not surprise at all.

I think its consensus that all big banks will try and nickel and dime you whenever they can lol. 

It's also consensus that the "nickel and diming" can be avoided by doing what the institution asks you to.

Message 42 of 51
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP, I'm glad that you exercised your options and moved your accounts to a different bank.

Message 43 of 51
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Yeah, Chase hasn't charged me a dime or any random "service" fee.
I love Chase checking!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 44 of 51
enharu
Super Contributor

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

I keep $6,000 in my checking account - but also have money in their savings account too

I was just irritated because the account was initially free of fees if I had a checking and savings account and I transferred a minimum of $25 to savings.

It absolutely is not about the money - its just that I felt totally nickel and dimed lol - maybe they would like me to go in to Walmart and purchase 10 packs of gum in 10 separate transactions with my debit card?

We are having an addition built on the house and the 7 debit card transactions that I made totalled over $2800 - so maybe they would favor the 10 packs of gum over a larger purchase?

The last time i went into the branch, the guy told me that I was pretty much "worthless" to them, because I dont have a loan or mortgage with them and dont have any of their insurance products either - I ended up opening a cc with them - just to give them some "business"

It was at this time that I opened my account with ally - i stuck a couple of hundred bucks in there and pretty much forgot about it, until today Smiley Wink

When comparing Ally to WF - Ally has much better interest rates and id 100% totally free - I appreciate that the official line is "well we have branches to keep open - they don't" - maybe I should be happy to cost myself money so that they can keep a branch open? I would think of it as a cost of doing business.

In nearly 5 years, I have maintained a checking and savings acct with them, my paycheck goes in religiously every 2 weeks (although not direct deposit)

There's no need to apologize at all for anything. I'm not trying to be negative or rude by the way.

I think the main problem was that you had the wrong account type, and you (or your banker) should have switched it to something else, and there was no real need for all this to happen. 

Any big bank's "relationship" with you is directly proportional to the amount of deposits you have, or amount of money they can make off you, but I wouldn't go so far to say you are worthless, because you are still a customer. Anyhow, you moved your business and you're happy with Ally, and that's great. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 45 of 51
jre
Regular Contributor

I originally railed OP, but after dealing with Wells Fargo the last couple of months I have decided to close out all my accounts with them as well. Their customer service is horrendous and leaves much to be desired. I would not recommend them to anyone going forward.

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 46 of 51
ptilda
Established Contributor

Had a similar issue with WF years ago. Used to be Norwest Bank before WF took over. Had a personal loan with them in good standing for 6 years, then they messed up their records and blocked me from making payments except with cash. So I had to drive 90 minutes to pay at a branch (wouldn't take EFT or check pmts). And then charged an extra processing fee for payng cash, so they considered me late because I didn't pay the fee (which they didn't tell me about). Then I paid that (drove the 90 minutes one way again), but they had applied a late fee (again didn't tell me when I was at the branch), and said I have to pay in full. I finally ended up informing their management that they were (then) my worst banking experience ever and I'll pay the actual amount I owed before fees, and we'll part ways. He agreed, but still blacklisted me, ruining my credit the first time and keeping me from opening a bank account for a few years. Swore them off ever since, but that was around 2000...

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 47 of 51
samm90
New Contributor

I got rid om my checking account with them 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. I now use a local credit union. No fees and good rates on checking and savings. I kept my WF card because it is my oldest. Now that I have a Chace card WF's is SD'd. Plus with shared branch I can access my account anywhere. Much happier.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 48 of 51
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Just throwing out there that chase giver absolutely free accounts to all veterans with perks! Disclaimer ...Chase is a criminal organization hell bent on purchasing the entire world

Message 49 of 51
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

Just throwing out there that chase giver absolutely free accounts to all veterans with perks! Disclaimer ...Chase is a criminal organization hell bent on purchasing the entire world

Hahahaha

That gave me a good laugh!

I've never had issues with Chase, I even have a checking account that I run my funds through on payday and then have extras (after bills) sent to MSUFCU to collect interest there.

I think in general banks try to purchase the whole world - that's their business goal.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.