cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good CC for US student interning in Ireland this summer?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Good CC for US student interning in Ireland this summer?

DD#2 is doing a 6-week internship in Dublin this summer, and we're pondering credit cards. I know there's some sort of currency conversion or something where Cap1 is better, but Cap1, ick. As a college student with minimal income and scores of EQ 675 - TU 681 - EX 698, I don't know what kind of junk they'd give her.

Barclay's is UK, but this is Ireland. Would there be any advantage in a Barclay's/ Juniper card in Ireland, or would that be no different from any other US-issued card? FWIW, I've never heard of Juniper or Barclay's where we live, although I know that's pretty irrelevant in the internet age. All she has now is a USAA Mastercard and a store card.

Any ex-pats or frequent overseas travelers, especially in Ireland, we'd love any input! thanks
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good CC for US student interning in Ireland this summer?

Hauling, this may not be much help, but I did a search of Dublin Banks, and was given a pretty good listing of them...many of which are old familiar's: BoA; Barclay's(never heard of them either before coming here); Citigroup; HSBC, and some others.

http://www.wtonetwork.com/ireland/banking-ireland/index.html
Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many credit unions have only a 1% Foreign Exchange Transaction Fee (yep cap1 is 0%, but concur on the sentiments about them). I tried to find if this is the case with Penfed on their site without success (and I haven't called em about it yet). One thing I always have to remind myself, if one uses an atm to withdraw cash in local currency, there is still usually the foreign atm withdrawal fee (in addition to any FETF) to watch out for (tho' it still can be cheaper overall than using some forex businesses).
Message 3 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I grew up in the days when American Express was the card that you got for travel overseas; after all, that's what American Express originally did! But someone posted a few months ago that her AmEx card wasn't taken (restaurant in Paris, maybe?) because of all the economic and currency trauma.

All my traveling in my Eurailpass and backpack days was with traveler's checks. Ever so long ago!

edit: I did find this, which seems helpful. Since they refer to MasterCard Europe, I'm not sure that our version is handled the same, although I would guess so.

I didn't realize that Republic of Ireland was using the euro now. Seems kind of sad, most of the old national currencies seem to be gone.

http://www.lookintoireland.com/cards.htm

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-17-2008 02:44 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I grew up in the days when American Express was the card that you got for travel overseas; after all, that's what American Express originally did! But someone posted a few months ago that her AmEx card wasn't taken (restaurant in Paris, maybe?) because of all the economic and currency trauma.

All my traveling in my Eurailpass and backpack days was with traveler's checks. Ever so long ago!

edit: I did find this, which seems helpful. Since they refer to MasterCard Europe, I'm not sure that our version is handled the same, although I would guess so.

I didn't realize that Republic of Ireland was using the euro now. Seems kind of sad, most of the old national currencies seem to be gone.

http://www.lookintoireland.com/cards.htm

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-17-2008 02:44 PM

I found this for student's that are going to school there. It tells of banking rules, etc.. I realize she is doing internship, but, some good info still.

And if I open my eyes, I can see the button on the left for internships. Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by stef37 on 02-17-2008 03:06 PM
Message 5 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Wow, stef, that is perfect! And her internship is through her university, so it's very relevant. I'm forwarding her the link. Thanks again!
Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I stumbled upon it.

I bet she's excited!! I would be.
Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hauling,

I would recommend calling BOA as they use "In-Network" ATM's which include Barclays.  I beleeive that there is a no per-transaction fee and overall 1% over interbank rate for cash. This is a pretty good deal.

If I need cash while traveling I always use ATM's rather than exchange rate booths (ie. Cook in the UK/Ireland) for cash "advances" as it is far cheaper to use the ATM if an "In-Network" one is readily available. 

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never had a problem anywhere in the world with using a US bank issued ATM card.    

The EU banks are prohibited from charging a fee to use their ATM's however international surcharges could apply for non-EU issued bank cards.   I would check with several of the banks/credit unions you are looking at to confirm their foreign usage/transaction fees as well as their exchange rate policy before making your final decision.

She shouldn't have too many problems in the Dublin metro area. Extremely rural parts of the country may prove to be more difficult as merchants will prefer to be paid in €.

She will also need to keep the telephone numbers (not US toll-free numbers) for the bankcards handy in the event that she needs to call the US while in IE.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.