Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good First Card

tag
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Good First Card

I have two younger friends that are interested in getting a credit card. Both are 19, blank credit report, full time students, part time employed. One is attending a four year college and one is at a two year college. 

Are there options other than a secured card? 

What cards will approve a blank credit history?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

Re: Good First Card

I always tell my friends to app for the Cap1 Platinum. High interest rate of course but a small, $19 annual fee. 

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 2 of 16
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

If you have good credit history, you might want to make them as authorized users on some of your cards and wait for them post on to their credit reports and then look into applying for the cards on their name.

Discover Student

Citi Forward

Amex Zync

Citi MTV

are good starter cards.

My daughter 19 has these cards now on her own after being an AU on my cards.

Amex Zync

Amex Blue - 4k CL

Citi Forward - 4k Cl

Citi Divident - 4k Cl

Discover - 1k Cl

BOA - American University Card - 750cl.

Message 3 of 16
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

The summer between high school and my first year of college, I applied for and was approved for two student cards from Citibank. I had a blank credit report and was approved for $1200 and $1000 for the Citi Platinum Select and Driver's Edge cards at the time.

For starting out with credit, I would highly recommend looking into Citi, as I've never had any issues with them.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 16
RyVision
Valued Contributor

No matter what card they get first, they NEED to get AMEX Zync. It will allow their future cards with AMEX (and they'll have them one day) to backdate to their original membership date with AMEX, giving them a longer AAoA down the road.  I'm VERY glad I had an AMEX  22 years ago! Smiley Wink

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 16
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

FWIW as a reference point for the OP, after I had my two student Citicards for one year, I app'd for and was instantly approved for the Amex Blue Sky for $5700 back in August 2007. It has since been converted to a Clear after I realized it would be a better fit for my spending habits. 

(Has Amex really tightened up that much in their guidelines that people with thin credit histories need to start out with Zync?)

Message 6 of 16
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@andyaycw wrote:

FWIW as a reference point for the OP, after I had my two student Citicards for one year, I app'd for and was instantly approved for the Amex Blue Sky for $5700 back in August 2007. It has since been converted to a Clear after I realized it would be a better fit for my spending habits. 

(Has Amex really tightened up that much in their guidelines that people with thin credit histories need to start out with Zync?)

I haven't read about anyone getting approved even for the ZYNC with a thin credit file. I just got my BCP with an AAoA of 1.6 years. 

Message 7 of 16
real_madrid09
Valued Member

Cap1 secured card. Then 3 months later Cap1 rewards card. Keep one at 0% and the other 9%. You score will go up much faster.

Message 8 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

My friend just applied for a student card with Cap One called Journey - a no annual fee cashback card.

The Discover will not approve the friend going to the 2-year school (from reading past posts on here).

Citi came through for me in college but that wasn't recent.  Smiley Tongue

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 9 of 16
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

@real_madrid09 wrote:

Cap1 secured card. Then 3 months later Cap1 rewards card. Keep one at 0% and the other 9%. You score will go up much faster.

For someone starting out with zero credit, especially for someone who meets the eligibility criteria for a student card, I am a firm believer that a secured card is not necessary to establish credit. I was able to build a substantial credit portfolio without ever having to resort to a secured card (unless of course my experience was atypical and I just got lucky.)

@clocktick wrote:

My friend just applied for a student card with Cap One called Journey - a no annual fee cashback card.

The Discover will not approve the friend going to the 2-year school (from reading past posts on here).

Citi came through for me in college but that wasn't recent.  Smiley Tongue

Agreed - Discover would not approve me until I had one year of credit history - same with Amex.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.