Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Secured Cards

tag
NinComPoop
Contributor

Good Secured Cards

I'm almost to the point where i feel comfortable applying for cards that don't have a monthly fee.  I currently have such cards (Continental Finance & First Premier Bank - can't wait to get rid of these!) and i also have a household bank card that isnt' the greatest but at least it doesn't charge a monthly fee and annual fee.  I've disputed the baddies on my CR and was able to get everything off except a charge off with BOA from 01 that's scheduled to come off in Oct or Nov also unfortunately i was 30 days past due 9 mos ago on 2 cards but haven't missed a payment since and tried to pay in full most of the time since then.  I'm looking for a good secured card to setup with a credit line of around $2500.  Also since my TU is my best score any suggestions of who i should apply for?  I live in MD.  Thanks!

3/22 TU 658 / EQ 624

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Re: Good Secured Cards

Message 2 of 5
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

I will say, if you are able to get a decent secured card- start weeding out the junk- get rid of anything you pay a fee on. You may want to do this 6 months after your new card- You may even get hit with a FICO drop- but in the long run you will be much better off. Your scores and bank account will appreciate my advice next year.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely believe that people should consider long term vs. quick-easy now credit.

BoA has a good secured program.  Amalgamated Bank of Chicago had a good secured card, but you had to income qualify for it.

But, I do believe that a good Credit Union, as the link provided above discusses, is the best option.  I suggest a long term strategy that involved building quality relationships and credit vs. quick and easy that goes no where.

Message 4 of 5
NinComPoop
Contributor

I appreciate your advice.  I will probably go the CU route.  Just need to find a the best local union in my area that offers secured cards.  I will never go with bank of america.  I used to work in their credit card department and know how shady they are.  They like to randomly change due dates without notice and i like to have an idea of things like that.  Just the principle i guess but thats another story.I
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.