Contributor
NinComPoop

Good Secured Cards

I'm almost to the point where i feel comfortable applying for cards that don't have a monthly fee.  I currently have such cards (Continental Finance & First Premier Bank - can't wait to get rid of these!) and i also have a household bank card that isnt' the greatest but at least it doesn't charge a monthly fee and annual fee.  I've disputed the baddies on my CR and was able to get everything off except a charge off with BOA from 01 that's scheduled to come off in Oct or Nov also unfortunately i was 30 days past due 9 mos ago on 2 cards but haven't missed a payment since and tried to pay in full most of the time since then.  I'm looking for a good secured card to setup with a credit line of around $2500.  Also since my TU is my best score any suggestions of who i should apply for?  I live in MD.  Thanks!

3/22 TU 658 / EQ 624

Frequent Contributor
moondog7324

Re: Good Secured Cards

Frequent Contributor
moondog7324

I will say, if you are able to get a decent secured card- start weeding out the junk- get rid of anything you pay a fee on. You may want to do this 6 months after your new card- You may even get hit with a FICO drop- but in the long run you will be much better off. Your scores and bank account will appreciate my advice next year.
Senior Contributor
txjohn

I definitely believe that people should consider long term vs. quick-easy now credit.

BoA has a good secured program.  Amalgamated Bank of Chicago had a good secured card, but you had to income qualify for it.

But, I do believe that a good Credit Union, as the link provided above discusses, is the best option.  I suggest a long term strategy that involved building quality relationships and credit vs. quick and easy that goes no where.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Contributor
NinComPoop

I appreciate your advice.  I will probably go the CU route.  Just need to find a the best local union in my area that offers secured cards.  I will never go with bank of america.  I used to work in their credit card department and know how shady they are.  They like to randomly change due dates without notice and i like to have an idea of things like that.  Just the principle i guess but thats another story.I

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}