Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good card for points with a 700 score?

tag
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Good card for points with a 700 score?

I have a big payment I need to make on something, to the tune of $7000.  I was going to pay it cash, but I'd rather put it on a card, to get the points, and then pay it off instead.

Right now my best card has a 3000 limit, but I got this card when I had around a 650 score.  Now, depending on the model and CA you pull, i'm 690-720.

Is there any card that will give me that limit, and even if not, does anyone have any suggestions on what the best card in that range would be to get some good points to use?

Thanks!

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Re: Good card for points with a 700 score?

@mccallb wrote:

I have a big payment I need to make on something, to the tune of $7000.  I was going to pay it cash, but I'd rather put it on a card, to get the points, and then pay it off instead.

Right now my best card has a 3000 limit, but I got this card when I had around a 650 score.  Now, depending on the model and CA you pull, i'm 690-720.

Is there any card that will give me that limit, and even if not, does anyone have any suggestions on what the best card in that range would be to get some good points to use?

Thanks!

Have you tried for a credit limit increase on your 3000 card?

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 12
honky
Regular Contributor

I think the single largest factor here is your income.  If your score is in the 700 range and you make 100k, chances are high you can get that limit.  Of course if you make  35k, your chance lowers significantly without increasing your score.  

I've had very good luck obtaining those limits from BoA, Citi, and Chase ion the past.  Citi was the first card that gave me a shot at a better limit, then the others all followed suit.  Everyone talks about credit unions, but I had no luck there.  Alliants limit is half the limits the big banks were willing to offer me at the time.

Starting Score: 580 2/03/12
Current Score: 810 EQ // 829 TU(Walmart)
Goal Score: Achieved!

Wallet: Citi Forward(13.5k), Ink plus(18k), CSP(13.5k), Freedom(6k), BoA123(13k), Alliant CU(5k), Walmart(2k), Kohls(1.4k), QuickSIlver(7.5k) Amex Simplycash Business(46.5k)
Message 3 of 12
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Why not go on an app spree! Try discover, amex and chase. For discover I would go with the it card, amex probably the bce or everyday card, for chase go for the CSP.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 4 of 12
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@mccallb wrote:

Thanks!

What cards do you have now?  Plus wanting a cards for points is a little vague.  What kind of points are you looking for MR(Amex0,  UR(Chase) or Travel reimbursement Barclays World +.  I certainly understand that you want to use a CC if you can pay in cash to utilize rewards I definitely would and I do that now every month.  What do you prefer so people can give you more choices.  Also what are you spending the 7k on?  Or what is your general monthly spend on?

Message 5 of 12
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I'm in the 100K range for salary, so yeah I'd hope for that range card.  As for what I want the points for, travel would be nice, or cash back.

I have a singular bill I'm going to take care of that I will be paying with either a debit card or a credit card, so I thought, why not use a credit card.

I have a cap 1 with 3000 ( last cli in december last year) a usaa with 2K (cli in may) a credit 1 from when I was repairing, and a BOA thats sitting at 1K and hasn't budged for some reason.

I don't get any points through any of the cards but when my credit improved I started getting offers for Amex green and Citi Diamond/Preferred/Thank you.   That's when I thought I may as well use a card just for that.  I would likely cancel my credit 1 and or my BOA card as they are low limit and I can't buy anything of use with them.

Thanks!

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 6 of 12
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@mccallb wrote:

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I'm in the 100K range for salary, so yeah I'd hope for that range card.  As for what I want the points for, travel would be nice, or cash back.

I have a singular bill I'm going to take care of that I will be paying with either a debit card or a credit card, so I thought, why not use a credit card.

I have a cap 1 with 3000 ( last cli in december last year) a usaa with 2K (cli in may) a credit 1 from when I was repairing, and a BOA thats sitting at 1K and hasn't budged for some reason.

I don't get any points through any of the cards but when my credit improved I started getting offers for Amex green and Citi Diamond/Preferred/Thank you.   That's when I thought I may as well use a card just for that.  I would likely cancel my credit 1 and or my BOA card as they are low limit and I can't buy anything of use with them.

Thanks!

I would apply for a couple maybe even three.  Amex PRG or Everyday Preferred.  If you would get approved for the Green then you will get approved for the PRG same UW criteria.  Plus the PRG has a better bonus offer 25k and no AF first year you can cancel card or downgrade to the Green before the AF kicks in.  I personally would go for the EDP I like the reward structure but harder UW criteria for revolver than the charge card.

Next I would go for the Barclays World + 40k bonus offer.

I would say go for the Chase CSP/ Freedom  combo but I don't think you will get approved for the card right now.  Just my opinion doesn't I can't be wrong.

Good thing if you apply for the Amex is they pull ex usually.  Barclays pulls TU.  That doesn't mean you won't get double or triple pulled I don't know how they are with pulling more than on Credit Bureau.  Good Luck

Message 7 of 12
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Just get the Fidelity Amex.  Straight up 2% cash back, no annual fee.  Put $7k on the card you are going to get $140 back.

Message 8 of 12
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

Just get the Fidelity Amex.  Straight up 2% cash back, no annual fee.  Put $7k on the card you are going to get $140 back.

Really?  You would get the Fidelity Amex over the Barclays and leave $440 on the table.  Barclays gives 2.2%  2% then 10% back when you redeem plus 40k sign up bonus.  Fidelity just 2%. 

So after he spends 7k he will have 54k points to redeem for airline credit $540 then get 5400 back in points total $594 in credits.  Fidelity $140 only I don't think I have to say which one wins outs.

Message 9 of 12
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

Really?  You would get the Fidelity Amex over the Barclays and leave $440 on the table.  Barclays gives 2.2%  2% then 10% back when you redeem plus 40k sign up bonus.  Fidelity just 2%. 

So after he spends 7k he will have 54k points to redeem for airline credit $540 then get 5400 back in points total $594 in credits.  Fidelity $140 only I don't think I have to say which one wins outs.

Well sure, and I have the Arrival+ and put $120k annually on it so I know it's a great card.  The difference between my comparison and yours (and I'm not saying yours is wrong - you make a very valid point) is that I'm not considering the sign up bonus.  If we threw the signup bonus and the first year waived AF out the window the OP would have to put over $40k on the Arrival + to get a better return than the Amex Fidelity (0.0222x - 89 = 0.02x, solving for x we get x = $40,454.55).

So yes, for the first year the Arrival + definitely wins out, but I personally never get a card strictly for the sign up bonus (though that does play into the consideration when I get a card).  Any card I sign up for I consider my spend long term and if it is worth the AF, and while I don't know the exact specifics of the OP's annual spend, it doesn't seem like they are spending over $40k on credit cards.

Also, the AMEX Fidelity is cash back while you only get the full 2.22% back on the Arrival + if you redeem against travel.  So if OP doesn't make travel purchases that meet or exceed the 2.22% return rate plus the sign up bonus then they wouldn't get the full amount back.  And if one were to just cash out the Arrival + "miles" (i.e. not redeem against travel) that means they only earn 1% back - which is a horrible return rate - especially for a card that has an AF.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.