cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good customer service --it still exists!

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Good customer service --it still exists!

I received some good customer service out of the blue the other evening, and after recovering from the shock, I figured I'd share.

(Die-hard Chase haters, you might want to skip this next part.)

As I've posted before, I had a Chase Borders Visa that was phased out and replaced with a Chase Freedom. This was last August, as in 5 months ago. I immediately tried to sign up for the 3 rotating rewards categories, but every time I tried, I got a message that I needed to put in some special code. CS told me that marketing would e-mail me the code, doubtless any day.

I kept calling once or twice a month, increasingly irate that my Freedom card was a complete dud, having only the so-called Ultimate Rewards program on it. At various times, I had CSR's scold me for being pushy, tell me that my account must be in sorry shape or I would have been given the code already, claim that they would send an e-mail, give me phone numbers that were disconnected, or flat-out tell me that there was no such thing as the rotating rewards, that it was all Ultimate Rewards.

Two evenings ago, I finally got lucky, reaching a front-line rep who passed me up to a supe almost immediately. The supe went in, checked my account, and came back to say that he had no idea why I hadn't been given the rewards, and that he saw no e-mails from CS regarding this, and that he was e-mailing marketing immediately to ask that they look into this. This cheered me up pretty well, and then out of the blue, he added that he was crediting my account $15 in apology for any rewards I might have missed out on during the past 5 months. Now that was going the extra mile.

Anyone else been surprised recently by good service?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Good customer service --it still exists!

Although Chase has CLD a couple accounts that I'm either joint on or auth on, I have been carrying balance, so I let that go.

However recently went in to close a joint checking account and open a personal account of my own, a Manager was sent out to do the opening of the new account, when we started talking and he found out I owned my own company, he brought in the business manager who talked to me about options for my business. I told them I was pretty happy with the bank that I have ALL my bank accounts with and neither the personal account guy or business account guy were pushy, but they were very straight forward that they wanted my business and if they could get it they would love to help me and we discussed products and how to avoid the monthly fees with chase bank accounts.

I left fully in love with Chase so decided to go home and schedule appointment for the free investment chase offers account holders.  When I went in for my appointment, while I was waiting for my appointment the manager that opened my personal account saw me and came and checked on me and how my new account was and even sat in on a portion of my investment meeting.

Overall, I am thinking about switching all my banking to Chase and I have moved my freedom card to the top of my debt snow ball 

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
CS told me that marketing would e-mail me the code, doubtless any day.

I kept calling once or twice a month, increasingly irate that my Freedom card was a complete dud, having only the so-called Ultimate Rewards program on it. At various times, I had CSR's scold me for being pushy, tell me that my account must be in sorry shape or I would have been given the code already, claim that they would send an e-mail, give me phone numbers that were disconnected, or flat-out tell me that there was no such thing as the rotating rewards, that it was all Ultimate Rewards.

You crack me up Smiley Very Happy. That sure sounds like good service Smiley Wink.

So they gave you the money you would get if you spent $500 on the card? How much did you spend on it (just curious)?

As to your question, I don't really have anything good to tell, but nothing really bad, either. Does Chase giving me an auto-CLI from $300 to $900 count? As it's still by far my smallest card, it's hardly worth mentioning on the "good service" side, though.

Message 3 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, what can I say? They got better. Smiley Very Happy

I didn't spend $500, or at least not over the last 3 months or so. One thing I mentioned was that I used to use the card a lot when it was Borders (true), but that I got so irritated with it that I took it out of my wallet (also true.)

I was surprised at that offer coming out of the blue like that. It just goes to show how beaten down we consumers have gotten that we're caught off balance when CS actually does something right!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, then it's not too bad Smiley Happy. That's at least some compensation for three months of trouble.

Let's hope that the good service becomes a bit more prevalent, now that the banks had some big profits again.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always had good luck with Chase and, now, Barclays.

1.  Chase: Not so long ago I called the recon number to ask if they could adjust a separate limit on my son's AU card since there was no way in hell I'd let him carry a card with a huge limit.  The lady was very nice and gave me the usual "I understand your concerns, but unfortunately ... " routine.  Then, out of the blue, she said what she could do was give me a new account with a $500 limit and shave $500 off my current card limit -- no muss, no fuss and, best of all, no INQ.

2.  Barclays:  Applied for Ameriprise.  Declined for "thin file."  Called "magic number" and they said they'd look it over again, but -- not because of anything they said -- I figured it was a lost cause.  I asked the guy if I might not have beenn declined if I had applied for their Barnes & Noble and he said I might not have been.  Asked if we could change my app from Ameriprise to B&N and he said they couldn't.  All this time the guy was very nice.  So, I app'd again for the B&N - declined for too many INQS (3).  Called "magic number" and asked if they'd look again since one of the INQs was theirs.  He approved the B&N right then and there.  A couple of days later they approved the Ameriprise. 

As far as I am concerned, Chase and Barlclays walk on water.  Well, along with USAA, too.

Message 6 of 24
aquatic1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've always had good luck with Chase and, now, Barclays.

1.  Chase: Not so long ago I called the recon number to ask if they could adjust a separate limit on my son's AU card since there was no way in hell I'd let him carry a card with a huge limit.  The lady was very nice and gave me the usual "I understand your concerns, but unfortunately ... " routine.  Then, out of the blue, she said what she could do was give me a new account with a $500 limit and shave $500 off my current card limit -- no muss, no fuss and, best of all, no INQ.

2.  Barclays:  Applied for Ameriprise.  Declined for "thin file."  Called "magic number" and they said they'd look it over again, but -- not because of anything they said -- I figured it was a lost cause.  I asked the guy if I might not have beenn declined if I had applied for their Barnes & Noble and he said I might not have been.  Asked if we could change my app from Ameriprise to B&N and he said they couldn't.  All this time the guy was very nice.  So, I app'd again for the B&N - declined for too many INQS (3).  Called "magic number" and asked if they'd look again since one of the INQs was theirs.  He approved the B&N right then and there.  A couple of days later they approved the Ameriprise. 

As far as I am concerned, Chase and Barlclays walk on water.  Well, along with USAA, too.

Great examples of CS going the extra mile!  Can't beat the "magic number".  Now they just need to work for me! Woman Happy

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 24
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Hauling---that is very cool.

I actually had a great customer service experience when I was cancelling my US Bank Visa this week (they pulled someone else's sub 500 credit score again right before I was to take the card to charge thousands on business in London--and lowered my limit from 15,000 to 500--they did reverse it again within 48 hours).

The service rep was very polite, agreed that there was really nothing she could do to have me stay, and handled the closure very professionally.  They are a great bank with great customer service--it just didn't work out for me regarding the bug in their report-pulling system.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Sorry, but I'm not too impressed. All they did is do what they should have in the beginning. We've really been condition to settle for very inferior service. While I've managed to get what I want from Chase CS when I've asked for something I am very unimpressed with the process. Whenever you get something they let you know they're doing you a big favor. Balderdash!
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you are saying that creditors have the obligation to offer a phone recon or individual credit consultation with an underwriter? 

And that a credit card issuer has the obligation to split your limit on one card and give you another card without so much as an inquiry?

Nice dream.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.