Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good experience from Capital One?!

tag
honky
Regular Contributor

Good experience from Capital One?!

I closed down my CapOne cards last year because they were unwilling to cli, product change, etc.  

Fast forward--the old Orchard Bank card that I forgot to cancel hit me with an AF last week.  I know it was changed to CapOne and chatroomed a CSR who told me right away I could get the 1.5% card but nothing else would change.  Now I havent been on the capitalone site for a long time, but the CSR now told me that I could request a CLI online.  This  is so much different than I remembered with previous products.  All I ever got before was no, no, no.    I was assured there would be no hard pull, so I went for it and got the 7-10 message.  

Crossing my fingers that they give me a big boy limit and I can keep this card in my wallet!

Starting Score: 580 2/03/12
Current Score: 810 EQ // 829 TU(Walmart)
Goal Score: Achieved!

Wallet: Citi Forward(13.5k), Ink plus(18k), CSP(13.5k), Freedom(6k), BoA123(13k), Alliant CU(5k), Walmart(2k), Kohls(1.4k), QuickSIlver(7.5k) Amex Simplycash Business(46.5k)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Good experience from Capital One?!

Good luck, the typical results from the luv button are 500 to 2K increases, with your scores if they are current I would expect the higher end increase.

Message 2 of 11
mnosal9
Regular Contributor

If you want a nice increase you have to contact the Executive Office. They will be more than happy to increase your limit. 

Starting: 6/2012 : EX: 485(FAKO) EQ: 490(FICO) Trans: 482(FAKO)
Current : 4/2014: EX: 650(FICO) EQ: 664 (FICO) Trans: 681 (FICO)

Cards: NPSL Amex Green (AU), $11500 Discover IT, $4000 Quicksilver One, $3500 Bank of America Travel Rewards,$3000 Amex BCE,$3000 Quicksilver One, $3000 AA, $2500 Sallie Mae MC, $5000 Citibank AA, $1500 Barclay, $1200 Macys
~Back to the Garden~

Goal Score: 700 Across!

Gardening til 8/2014!!
Message 3 of 11
honky
Regular Contributor

@mnosal9 wrote:

If you want a nice increase you have to contact the Executive Office. They will be more than happy to increase your limit. 

Should I call right away or wait until I see the change?  Still showing as a platinum card online.

Wallet: Citi Forward(13.5k), Ink plus(18k), CSP(13.5k), Freedom(6k), BoA123(13k), Alliant CU(5k), Walmart(2k), Kohls(1.4k), QuickSIlver(7.5k) Amex Simplycash Business(46.5k)
Message 4 of 11
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@honky wrote:

@mnosal9 wrote:

Should I call right away or wait until I see the change?  Still showing as a platinum card online.

Normally, the advice here is to email the EO first and have them call you back, not to "cold-call" the EO.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

OP I agree with your approach to this. If your request comes back denied, that's just another data point in the case for you to make your case to EO. A lot of people tend to skip the normal process and just go to EO, but I agree with trying to follow the normal procedure as it shows you've made a concerted effort. Goodluck!

Message 6 of 11
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I emailed the EO yesterday about the same card and haven't heard back yet.  I was hit with a $60.00 "Membership" Fee.  When I went the normal route I was told I was being upgraded to QuickSilver, but like they told you, when the card arrived it was actually QuickSilver One and the MF was still there.  If they do not remove the fee I will PIF and close the account.  I am simply no longer willing to pay any sort of AFs anymore.

Message 7 of 11
honky
Regular Contributor

I got a call back from the EO yesterday and they reversed the AF(which I already paid) and gave me a 7.5k credit limit.  It is quite a bit lower than some of the other cards, but from a conservative lender it seems alright.  2500% cli is hard to beat.

It feels wierd, but CapitalOne is going to turn into my every day card now.  I had been using Chase for all the "other" type purchases, but 1.5% is 1.5%

Message 8 of 11
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@honky wrote:

@mnosal9 wrote:

Normally, the advice here is to email the EO first and have them call you back, not to "cold-call" the EO.

+1.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 9 of 11
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Congrats, did the fee getting reversed or permanently removed?  I got the EO to remove my fee after I closed one account with them.  The normal CSR's wouldn't even waive it for the year on the first card I had.  I now have 3 cards with them.  I originally had 2, then the HSBC card converted, and then I app'd for a Visa Signature card with them.  The EO can be good.  I actually got declined for the Signature card, but I reconned with the EO and asked for the card and a review of CL on the other original Capone card.  I told them if it came down to one or the other, then I wanted the Signature card!  That's what they gave me, just the signature card.  I recently got an increase to $5,500 on the original card.  This is now a higher limit than my signature card with them, but the normal CSRs won't convert that to a World Card and the EO also now seems like normal CSRs sometimes and they also won't convert it.  However, I did simply just talk to the first person who answered the phone for the EO office. 

The 1.5% is good for most categories, I can use the Discover, FNBO Amex, Chase, PayPal MC, Barclays, and my PNC Signature (1.75%) for better rewards in the special categories.  So basically, yeah, I can only use them for international transactions.  I wonder if they will figure that out? 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.