Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good first amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good first amex?

Curious what a good first amex is? I'm ok with their charge or credit cards as long as annual fee isn't too high. Scores are in the 690s so do you think I'd have a chance? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Good first amex?

Green Card -  It's a charge card with a $95 fee.  One point earned per dollar spent.

Blue Cash Everyday -  It's a cashback credit card with no fee.  You earn 3% on groceries, 2% on gas and department stores, 1% on everything else.

Amex Everyday -  It's a points credit card with no fee.  You earn 2 points per dollar on groceries and Amex travel portal purchases, 1 point per dollar on everything else.  If you use the card 20 times in a billing period, you get 20% extra points.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

A good first Amex card is which ever benefits your spend the bestSmiley Wink. Also depends on your needs, cards with MR points are supposd to be best maximized for travel though you can get things like gift cards etc. Revolvers such as Blue Cash can give you cash back so just depends on your preference. If your score is 690 Ex fico, you may have a very good chance at approval though of course may factors play into approval like income score aaol, baddies on report etc.
Message 3 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Curious what a good first amex is? I'm ok with their charge or credit cards as long as annual fee isn't too high. Scores are in the 690s so do you think I'd have a chance? 

According to conventional wisdom, which isn't guaranteed to be totally accurate or up-to-date...

Charge cards are the easiest to get.

Then come cobrand credit cards. Delta Gold may be the easiest of these.

Hardest would be proprietary credit cards (Blue Cash, EveryDay).

The difference between hardest-to-get and easiest-to-get isn't that big. So a better question would be: Which one is most useful for you?

You don't tell us whether you travel a lot or which hotels/airlines you use. You don't say whether you'd be spending a lot on travel, or on groceries, etc.

Do you just want an Amex as a point of (arguably meaningless) pride? Was your plan to get in with one card and later qualify for another you want more (for which you think you might not presently be eligible)?

Amex seems to be the only bank that can get people to conclude they need one before they even examine the card offerings.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Amex BCE is easy to get approved, offers decent cash rewards, and has no fee.  That's a great starter card.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on what benefit your looking for
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whichever card you get make sure you get the best offer the Premier rewards gold best offer is 50000 points and Blue Cash Everyday is 250 dollars. You might have to put browser in incognito mode to see them.   I think you should be fine with that score you might just have high interest rate on credit cards.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blue cash. You don't wanna deal with annual fees.
Message 8 of 13
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex typically has higher sign up bonus for new member to their family. You should try to see if you have any pre-approval cards with high sign up bonus and sign up for those if you want. You may also ask it on here to see if the deals you saw online are good or not.

Message 9 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Blue cash. You don't wanna deal with annual fees.

If OP is just looking for favorable dispute resolution, ShopRunner, or a potentially rapidly growing CL, then that is good advice.

Apart from that, the features that can make Amex cards special are generally limited to AF cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.