Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good # for Amex query?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good # for Amex query?

I want to call Amex and ask about an old account that was closed i.e. did I owe anything, can I reapply for new card or am I on Blacklist if so, can I pay and reapply, will they add age to new account if I am approved, etc.

What # would anyone recommend for this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Good # for Amex query?

1. I want to call Amex and ask about an old account that was closed i.e.

did I owe anything: 

if you don't have the card or acct. number you're pretty much at the mercy of their record keeping so if the first csr isn't the helpful type and can't dig it up for whatever reason you may want to call back and try somone else: just plain old customer service should do it: 1-800-528-4800.  Don't bother getting into a whole song and dance about how you want to reapply and get older dates etc. in the begining. simply state you would like to know if they have a record of you as a card holder and if there is any outstanding balance.

2. can I pay and reapply.  Reapply -when you have a good chance at approval, of course.  then, you can pay after you receive the new card (or you can pay first if you don't care if you're denied having paid first. then if you are approved in a subsequent app. they may send the backdated cards upon appoval of app. w/o you even requesting it).

3.  will they add age to new account if I am approved  sometimes they do it automatically, or on request when you call in after you receive the card(s).  they recently backdated my two amexes at my prompting w/o any unintended results so far.  worked like a charm and boosted scores significantly

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.