Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good set of cards?

tag
Zar
Regular Contributor

Good set of cards?

Hello,

I have been reading for a long time the forums and now I decided to post for the first time. I would like to know if this is a good combination of credit cards to have:
  • American Express Blue (3/2008): CL $4400
  • Bank of America BankAmericard - Visa (10/2007): CL $1800
  • Citi mtvU - Visa (8/2007)): CL $4000
  • Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards - MasterCard (5/2008): CL $4050
  • Washington Mutual - Visa (11/2007): CL $4500

Thank you very much,

Zar Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Zar on 06-14-2008 01:26 PM
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good set of cards?

Welcome to the FICO Forums, Zar!

Yes, those are some great cards!  Prime issuers with decent credit limits and pretty good rewards programs on a couple of them.  Treat them well, and they'll serve you for years to come.

Very impressive.

Message 2 of 21
nicemann
Established Contributor

Zar wrote:
Hello,

I have been reading for a long time the forums and now I decided to post for the first time. I would like to know if this is a good combination of credit cards to have:
  • American Express Blue (3/2008): CL $4400
  • Bank of America BankAmericard - Visa (10/2007): CL $1800
  • Citi mtvU - Visa (8/2007)): CL $4000
  • Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards - MasterCard (5/2008): CL $4050
  • Washington Mutual - Visa (11/2007): CL $4500

Thank you very much,

Zar Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Zar on 06-14-2008 01:26 PM

Some people say you need a store CC.  That may help your score a little.  Do you have any installment loans?

On a seperate note, I would call BoA backdoor number and ask for a CLI.  Explain to them that WAMU has give you $4500 and you would like for them to beat that because you want BoA to be your card of choice.  Depending on your history, great chance they will do that with a soft INQ.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 21
Zar
Regular Contributor

Thank you Cheddar!

Yes, I will treat them well. I always try to pay in full even before the statements cut. I have managed to get my cards with 1.5 years of credit history. At the beginning, I had a $300 CL secured card with Bank of America which I closed because they charged me a $45 annual fee.

Could you please tell me what are those two cards with the best rewards among them so I can use them more than the others?

Thank you again!

Zar Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zar wrote:
Thank you Cheddar!

Yes, I will treat them well. I always try to pay in full even before the statements cut. I have managed to get my cards with 1.5 years of credit history. At the beginning, I had a $300 CL secured card with Bank of America which I closed because they charged me a $45 annual fee.

Could you please tell me what are those two cards with the best rewards among them so I can use them more than the others?

Thank you again!

Zar Smiley Happy

Of the cards you have, Amex Blue and Citi DPR have the best rewards programs, IMO.  I agree with nicemann's suggestion above.  BofA is very good about matching your highest limit.  I would give them a call and see if they will bring you up to $4500 to match WaMu.

Also, see if you can add the WorldPoints program to your BofA card, if it doesn't already have it.  Then all of your cards except for WaMu will have a rewards program.

Message 5 of 21
Zar
Regular Contributor

Thank you Nicemann for your suggestions, I really appreciate them! I don't have an installment loan but I would like to get a small one to buy a car soon. Would that help also?

Last time I checked my credit scores (May 9th): EX: 735; TU: 715; EQ: 722.

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would definetly aid your mix of credit, which enhances your score.
Message 7 of 21
Zar
Regular Contributor

Thank you again Cheddar! I'll call Bank of America soon and I'll ask them if it's possible to increase my CL. As for the BankAmericard Visa, it already has the WorldPoints program.

Zar Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 21
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Zar wrote:
Thank you Nicemann for your suggestions, I really appreciate them! I don't have an installment loan but I would like to get a small one to buy a car soon. Would that help also?
Last time I checked my credit scores (May 9th): EX: 735; TU: 715; EQ: 722.
Zar Smiley Happy

Nice set of cards. Maybe a store card and a car loan when you need a car. You look very good. Nice tight report.
Message 9 of 21
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

They all seem good to me, except maybe for the WaMu card.  They still engage in the slime-ball practice of 2 cycle billing.  EWWWWWE  Smiley Mad
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.