Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good stratgey???

There is a reason serve/redbird exist, lol. Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yeah, there is but my understanding is that they exist in order to be loaded with cash (or maybe debit but idk) for bill paying. I don't think either Serve or Redbird explicitly state that they want you loading with CC's. But, like everything else, if people wanna do it and can get away with it whatever. I was just saying I wouldn't recommend it.

Was just on Serve's website and it doesn't say anything about loading with a credit card. It mentions giving your cash to the cashier and loading your card. Your credit card is not cash. So I can't see that they would want you doing it. That's the only reason I told the OP I wouldn't recommend it.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Parson my ignorance but what is serve/redbird?
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fact you can load redbird with a CC implies that that is intended use. Rewards or not.
Message 14 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

They are reloadable prepaid cards ostensibly for people who doesn't have bank accounts or are worried about security issues. You load them up with cash and can then spend them/pay bills/etc.

People who want to maximize rewards, to put it nicely, load them with credit cards, which as far as I can tell isn't really allowed, but people do it and some get away with it I guess.

Yeah, I only looked at Serve's website, so I can't really speak for Redbird, maybe they don't care if they load with CC.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Redbird doesn't know and doesn't care if the card you use to refill is rewards or plain jane.
Message 16 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it a good stratgey to pay all your monthly bills and expences(food-gas-ect) with reward point/ cash back CCs then only use your Debit-checking to pay off your credit card accounts???

Depends on context.  It's a good strategy to maximize rewards.  It's a potentially risky strategy for one who has trouble budgeting.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

They are reloadable prepaid cards ostensibly for people who doesn't have bank accounts or are worried about security issues. You load them up with cash and can then spend them/pay bills/etc.

People who want to maximize rewards, to put it nicely, load them with credit cards, which as far as I can tell isn't really allowed, but people do it and some get away with it I guess.

Yeah, I only looked at Serve's website, so I can't really speak for Redbird, maybe they don't care if they load with CC.

Isn't allowed by what entity?  That suggests that there is specific wording that says credit cards can't be used, but that's certainly not the case.  I haven't done so but many people have loaded the card with CCs without issue so I'm not sure where you are getting your information.  

Message 18 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't see anywhere on Serve's website where it says you are allowed to do it. Besides, it's kind of common sense that they wouldn't want you loading it up to get CC rewards. Credit cards are not really "cash". They aren't your money. They are Chase, Discover or whoever's money. You are borrowing it. Loading it onto a prepaid card to get rewards and then spend is probably not what the prepaid card is intended for.

But if I'm wrong and they don't care, then have at it. I never said I was an expert. I just told the OP I wouldn't recommend doing it. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.