ktkw

Good time to apply for Chase Freedom?

[ Edited ]

I'm a college student currently only have a BofA Travel Rewards card with a 2.5k limit. I want to apply for the Chase Freedom to start racking up UR points and eventually transfer the points to CSP when I get it down the road. Here is my current situtation

Cards: BofA Travel Rewards 2.5k

INQs: 1 from opening BofA travelrewards in Dec, 1 from applying to Chase Southwest in July (Denied, didn't know better at the time that with my limited credit history I was basically auto denied), 1 from CLI on BofA in Aug

AAoA: 11 months, will be 12 in Dec

No other lines of credit

Scores: From PrivacyGuard are around 705-715 for all three scores. I've always paid in full/never been late on my BofA card.

I'm thinking I should wait until Dec such that my credit history hits 1 year old, drop my util to 9% and apply for the Freedom. I can put around 60k+ income if I count money given to me for tuition, living, scholarships, and work/internships.

1)Any tips on applying and do you think this is a good idea to apply or should I wait it out longer.

2)I'm also considering the Discover IT $150 CB after $750 spend. Do you think if my goal is to get CSP ASAP I should also apply for both cards?

3)When do you think would be a good time to apply for CSP?

4)Would going into a Chase branch and applying to Chase Freedom increase my chances?

Thanks!

12/12 BofA TravelRewards $700 || 08/13 BofA TravelRewards $700 -> $2,500 || 12/13 Chase Freedom $2,500 || 12/13 Chase Sapphire Preferred $12,000 || 12/13 Amex Starwood Preferred Guest $5,000 || 12/13 Discover IT $2,000
Senior Contributor
drkaje

Re: Good time to apply for Chase Freedom?

From what people have posted here: Chase like to see at least a year. You should have a good income for CSP. Some people who bank with Chase feel they have gotten better treatment.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+