tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Goodbye Sallie

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brax wrote:

Not really a good idea to close a card that gives 5.5% back with no AF.

Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea for you but the OP seems to feel differently. Not all of us have the same spending habits or card needs. I like SM but at the same time I could do fine without it. Aside from Target and Nook purchases I don't really use it much. Groceries...meh. Its easier for me to use BCE once a month for $350-$400 in groceries than break that down into two separate purchases just to max out the $250 cap with SM. Gas...don't need it at the moment. Main reason I'm keeping SM is bc I may buy a car next year to add an auto loan into the credit profile mix. Otherwise it wouldn't kill me to roll the limit over and close. Smiley Happy

But even if you spend the entire $400 a month on the Sallie mae, you still earn more cash back than using a BCE Smiley Wink

Sallie-BCP3.png

I figured this chart would come up sooner or later and I'm aware of it. Again it's just more convenient to use SM on other purchases that aren't groceries vs. splitting payments in two with it. I realize this is against everything most people strive for around here but whatever few dollars I'm losing out on here and there aren't going to keep me up at night lol This is simply what works for me. Not saying its the best strategy for accumulating every possible penny its simply my preferred method Smiley Tongue Thanks TMWC

Right, keep it all in perspective. We're only talking about $16 difference per year Smiley Wink

But personally, I just don't like the look of the transparent BCE card. Even though someone once complemented its appearance when I used it.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 31 of 78
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

If one is not carrying any balance, why does the APR matter?

Doesn't matter much to me. Caps are so low I couldnt see myself ever carrying a balance with this card even if I were inclined to carry any type of balance someday. But everyone is different. Might be a peace of mind thing for some people who knows Smiley Happy Maybe it simply feels good to see a lower APR vs. higher

I'm thinking more along the lines of, if one has to carry a balance on $250 of monthly grocery spend, maybe that person has more significant money management issues that SM alone cannot solve Smiley Happy

(that's a joke, light hearted credit humor, not an aspersion directed at the OP or anyone else)

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 32 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

If one is not carrying any balance, why does the APR matter?

Doesn't matter much to me. Caps are so low I couldnt see myself ever carrying a balance with this card even if I were inclined to carry any type of balance someday. But everyone is different. Might be a peace of mind thing for some people who knows Smiley Happy Maybe it simply feels good to see a lower APR vs. higher

I'm thinking more along the lines of, if one has to carry a balance on $250 of monthly grocery spend, maybe that person has more significant money management issues that SM alone cannot solve Smiley Happy

(that's a joke, light hearted credit humor, not an aspersion directed at the OP or anyone else)

Smiley LOL

Message 33 of 78
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Of course, to the other side topic in this thread, I can see how SM would get in the way of trying to get through that $6,500 annual spend moat to get to the Old Blue Cash 5% or whatever the reward rate is on the other side Smiley Happy

Easy = SM at 5% of the first Grocery/Gas dollar spend each month.

Hard = OBC with $6,500 spend moat to get to the good stuff.

No, the caps are so low on the SM that it really doesn't get in the way of the $6.5K spend   We spend a lot of (real) groceries and don't want to have to track that we've spent $250 on this card for the month so switch to.., when the whole thing can be put on one card.

But again, I agree it's  a great card for many people, but not everyone is the same!

Message 34 of 78
onstar
Established Contributor

OP did 2 things that are very unpopular at myFICO forums:

(1) Closing a card with no AF.

(2) Not loving SM.

I'm with OP. I'm all for closing any card that you're not benefitting from, and I don't care for SM that much (anymore).

GOOD RIDDANCE!

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 35 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skye12329 wrote:
I didn't know store cards could reduce the APR.

I see from your sig you have the Sears Mastercard too. I was able to get my APR reduced to 17.24% on mine. Might want to give it a shot if APRs matter to you.

Message 36 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also very unpopular is denouncing the SCT. Smiley Wink
Message 37 of 78
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL. Well, that's because:

People think that they are tricking the system to get a card.

In reality, they are getting tricked into getting a card.

But they want to feel smart about it.

Just my opinion.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 38 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol...yeah.
Message 39 of 78
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

(Gasps)... You SHUT your mouth right now. How dare you not love the SCT lmao!!!!Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.