Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Sallie

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodbye Sallie

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello. I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and found a lot of good information, so thanks for that. I just wanted to share my story about my Barclay Sallie Mae card.

I apped for the Sallie Mae card back in 2013 after seeing a popup for it when I was paying my student loan. I had just changed roles at work and became a field service tech so the 5% back on gas was enticing. I was approved for the platinum with a SL of $1,000 and 22.99% APR. Didn't care about the rate since I would be paying the card off each month in full. I used the card for every gas purchase and maxed out the 5% gas limit every month. Sometime around my 12th statement I got a $900 auto CLI that took me up to $1,900. I was getting $25 credits to my student loans left and right.

I was getting tired of driving all the time so I went back to working in an office late last year. The card had a zero balance and was sock drawered for a month. I got a great BT offer from them so I decided to request a CLI to take better advantage of the BT offer. An HP later and I have a whopping limit of $2400. That was a waste of a good HP, but whatever. I paid the account in full with my tax refund last month, let it report to the CRAs at a zero balance, and sock drawered the card again.

Yesterday I decided I had too many cards (16) and decided to go for a few APR reductions and close some accounts. The first one I called was Barclay. I told them I have been a good customer for the last two years and would like an APR reduction. "Sorry, there are no offers on your account at this time" is what I hear. I was pretty angry at that response. I have a lot better cards and I am not going to accept that. As if I was on auto pilot, I said "Go ahead and close my account then." There was no hesitation by the CSR, no pause, no "Let me transfer you to the Retention Department." Just a flat out "If we close your account today you will not be able to reopen it or use your card and will forfeit your rewards balance. Are you sure?" I said "yes" and that was it. Wow, that made it easier to accept. Good riddance. 

I don't know if this is typical, but what happened to CCCs trying to retain customers? Every card I have tried since closing the Sallie Mae had no problem reducing the APR. I even got Citi to reduce the APR on my Sears MasterCard which shocked the CSR. She was sure that store cards wouldn't let an APR reduction go through. 

They usually grow with them. Barclay usually likes to match your highest CL with other lenders.

Message 51 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typical and I'm not surprised at all. I just had terrible experience with my first barclaycard as well.

Message 52 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

All I will say is this, assuming the rewards structure doesn't change, I will never ever, ever, EVER close my Sallie Mae MasterCard. EVER.

But if you feel like you did the right thing, more power to you.

Message 53 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

All I will say is this, assuming the rewards structure doesn't change, I will never ever, ever, EVER close my Sallie Mae MasterCard. EVER.

Unless a better card comes out.

Just imagine if they combined the BBR and the Sallie Mae into one card.

Oh man...

Message 54 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless a better card comes out.

Just imagine if they combined the BBR and the Sallie Mae into one card.

Oh man...

image.jpg

So delicious. The savings have me salivating.

Message 55 of 78
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure but all that really means is that the SM is a great fit for your situation. (currently!  Those needs could change too....)   So the same is true of any card that someone really likes, even if it is of no or little benefit to others.

Message 56 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure but all that really means is that the SM is a great fit for your situation. (currently!  Those needs could change too....)   So the same is true of any card that someone really likes, even if it is of no or little benefit to others.

Um. Yeah. That's why I said "I". Lol.

Message 57 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate how the post button is so close to the page selection button on mobile...

As for the OP closing the card, to each their own I suppose.  Once I snag the SM, I'm with Jay, I don't see any reason to close.  I even opened up another TL just to get in good with Barclays before trying for the SM in 6-9 months...

Oz

Message 58 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

The categories are alright if it's your only choice but with other options the monthly caps would make it a backup card to something like the Blue Cash Preferred or any one of the 5 percent cash back cards when groceries are in category. For prime members, even the Amazon store card has 5% cash back uncapped.
Message 59 of 78
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 For prime members, even the Amazon store card has 5% cash back uncapped.

I'm a Prime member and might actually care about the store card if it weren't for the fact that my Amazon spending is $200-$300 a month... well under the $750 a month SM cap.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 60 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.