cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbyes are bittersweet(also 1 year update)

tag
TreeBeard

Goodbyes are bittersweet(also 1 year update)

Today I closed my first credit card, a Capital One Platinum that I opened 1 year ago. Without any sort of rewards I havn't had a use for the card in a long time, and it's last purpose as a none AMEX or Discover card was ended since I was approved for a Chase Freedom. Why pay $19 a year for a useless card.

In the same vein I also closed my American Express Green card today. I got it around 10 months ago and used it to get in with AMEX. After I got approved for a Blue Cash Prefered in March it lost it's purpose and with the $95 annual fee coming up in 2 months the decision for that was clear. I'm almost sad to cancel it for quite a silly reason, I like the classic look of it. It really is an attractive card.

Anyways so in one year I went from a $500 limit builder card to a 3.5k Discover IT, 2.5k BCF, 2.5K Chase Freedom and a 740 fico-score.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Goodbyes are bittersweet(also 1 year update)

It's not a silly reason. Why pay a bank to keep a card that has no use for you? You're clearly losing money if you did.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understand your view. Did exactly the same thing. Also, I had too many cards to use or keep track of. Realize this will vary by person. Still could loose 4-6 cards (closed seven HSBC/Cap1/Orchard cards - hard to let go).
Message 3 of 6
TreeBeard

Haha, I only meant it was silly cause I was sad to see it go because I liked how it looked. It really is quite classic and handsome.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me too I recently closed two cards as they served their purpose to help me rebuild my credit. But their annual is up and I can't justify any reasons to keep them with their such high APR and ridiculous AFs. It's ok though. One door closed another will open haha so we could have room for better and bigger CCs

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize in advance that this post of mine is completely off-topic from the original post, but I was looking through the replies, and heyarrnold's signature intrigued me. 

heyarrnold, it says in your signature that you're a 21 year old, and with that in mind, I'm making the inference that you were born in 1992/93. Now looking at your cards, it says your AmEx's backdate with a MSD of 1993. Now, were you an AU from one of your parent's accounts when you were born/1 year old? lol

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.