Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Wallet and Rewards

tag
QuantumCredit
New Contributor

Google Wallet and Rewards

I got a Galaxy Nexus from Google a few months ago and was planning on putting all my cards on Google Wallet and using that, until I learned that the system uses a vitual proxy card that each transaction is put on and then Google charges an equal amount on the card that you chose for that transcation, which seems like a deal breaker because 1) you will not get any merchant-specific rewards which all my cards use and 2) you won't even see on your statement anything but Google transactions which is just silly.

So my question is - is this indeed the case or have they made progress toward this where some cards can be directly used? Has anyone used Google Wallet and can comment on the rewards issue? Would my BCP, Cash+ and Freedom recognize the merchants or just see a Google transaction and give me the 1%? Does anyone have any info on the system potentially working directly in the future? It seems like it would be convenient (although I'm not sure if flipping between cards on the screen would be quicker than just grabbing the right card) and I'd like to give it a shot but until they make it direct there's no reason for anyone really to prefer it to traditional use.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Google Wallet and Rewards

Well I know that Citi has recently been promoting their newfound relationship with Google Wallet.  So maybe Citi has figured out the rewards thing with Google....or maybe not, maybe it is just for their non rewards cards.

I do know that Google wallet makes it very apparent that rewards may not be rewarded if using Google Wallet.  Sort of, proceed with caution warning from google.

I would expect that in the future the rewards thing won't be a problem.  but right now it is.  

Message 2 of 9
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@QuantumCredit wrote:

I got a Galaxy Nexus from Google a few months ago and was planning on putting all my cards on Google Wallet and using that, until I learned that the system uses a vitual proxy card that each transaction is put on and then Google charges an equal amount on the card that you chose for that transcation, which seems like a deal breaker because 1) you will not get any merchant-specific rewards which all my cards use and 2) you won't even see on your statement anything but Google transactions which is just silly.

So my question is - is this indeed the case or have they made progress toward this where some cards can be directly used? Has anyone used Google Wallet and can comment on the rewards issue? Would my BCP, Cash+ and Freedom recognize the merchants or just see a Google transaction and give me the 1%? Does anyone have any info on the system potentially working directly in the future? It seems like it would be convenient (although I'm not sure if flipping between cards on the screen would be quicker than just grabbing the right card) and I'd like to give it a shot but until they make it direct there's no reason for anyone really to prefer it to traditional use.

The transactions show up on the statement prefixed with GOOGNFC* or GOOGLE* followed by the normal merchant name. NFC purchases do show up under the correct merchant category on my Discover More statement.

EDIT: More info:

* A McDonald's purchase on my Amex BCE through Wallet showed up as Business Services with Google's address showing for the merchant.

* A Coke vending machine purchase made on my Chase Sapphire Preferred through Wallet did show up as a Restaurant purchase under Blueprint.

* A CVS purchase made on my Discover More through Wallet did show up as a pharmacy under Merchandise category.

Message 3 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

EDIT: More info:

* A McDonald's purchase on my Amex BCE through Wallet showed up as Business Services with Google's address showing for the merchant.

* A Coke vending machine purchase made on my Chase Sapphire Preferred through Wallet did show up as a Restaurant purchase under Blueprint.

* A CVS purchase made on my Discover More through Wallet did show up as a pharmacy under Merchandise category.

That is because AMEX does NOT use MCC (which defines what category a purchase is in, developed by Visa and MasterCard). Not surprised that Discover coded the transaction correctly, given they signed an agreement over this.

AMEX is against Google Wallet to begin with, instead AMEX opt for Isis.

Message 4 of 9
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Bump..

Curious about this.  A lot places around me have those mobile pay things at the terminals, and I recently got a new phone that allows me to do that, so I'm considering starting to use tap-to-pay sometimes.  I already don't like the idea that it wants me to pick a default card though, since which credit card I use is highly dependent upon where I am so that I can maximize rewards.  But if using Google Wallet is going to negate any rewards anyway, definitely not going to bother.  Any update on this?

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 5 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Zombie Thread

Spending rewards & benefits

You may not earn certain reward points and benefits for purchases through your card issuer's credit or debit card rewards program (such as overall spending and purchase protection or insurance). Keep in mind that for purchases where Google Wallet facilitates the payment and then charges your selected card, the amount charged to your registered card is charged by Google Wallet and not by the merchant where you make a purchase.

Rewards and benefits, if applicable, will be decided by your card's issuer. Your card's issuer (not Google Wallet or The Bancorp Bank) determines and is responsible for whether rewards points or other benefits apply to these purchases.

If you receive additional rewards when shopping at a specific merchant, these benefits may not be applied when using Google Wallet.

Please contact your card's issuer for questions on any rewards program associated with your registered card.

Message 6 of 9
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Yeah sorry for resurrecting this Smiley Happy

and thanks for the answer

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like its time for Google to come out with thier own credit card... 3X points on wallet purchases?  It'll never happen but fun to fantasize about.

Message 8 of 9
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like its time for Google to come out with thier own credit card... 3X points on wallet purchases?  It'll never happen but fun to fantasize about.

Or when purchasing Google products, Android devices, etc.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.