cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got A 761. What Would You Do With It???

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Got A 761. What Would You Do With It???

@CreditEd wrote:

Never even cared about my credit score being so high let alone actually achieving it. This Saturday Score Watch reported that my EQ score is at 761. Plus I have two more payments to make this week that will bring my utilization down even more (from 26% to 2%).

I'm so excited that now that I'm here, I don't want to take an inquiry to pull me below 760. But I also have a strategy to add 4 new cards to ensure that all of my low levels can go and I can establish all fully primes.

It's interesting looking at the potential mortgage and car rates to understand the potential savings. If you all could would you do refinancing, new purchasing of continue building more prime credit cards and higher limits?

Your thoughts would be greatly welcomed...

Basically I have done all of the above,  adding new cards with higher limits, refinancing debt, purchasing a house and a car, adding a revolving LOC

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 21
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

At that point, though, I would focus on laying low on credit cards and shop for refinancing as I originally suggested.

thx for the advise. To be a bit more candid, We bought my house with the wife on the mortgage alone due to my credit situation at the time. I'm actually now in the position to get that corrected as well.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 12 of 21
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@CreditEd wrote:

Never even cared about my credit score being so high let alone actually achieving it. This Saturday Score Watch reported that my EQ score is at 761. Plus I have two more payments to make this week that will bring my utilization down even more (from 26% to 2%).

I'm so excited that now that I'm here, I don't want to take an inquiry to pull me below 760. But I also have a strategy to add 4 new cards to ensure that all of my low levels can go and I can establish all fully primes.

It's interesting looking at the potential mortgage and car rates to understand the potential savings. If you all could would you do refinancing, new purchasing of continue building more prime credit cards and higher limits?

I have reached the 700 club.... since reaching the 700 club, here are the things I have done in the past year. Prior to reaching 700, I had:

1)  a discover card 3600 limit opened in 1999 (this was my only major CC).

2) a mortgage at 6.125% closed in April 2008.

3) A JCPenny card, inactive with a $124 limit (had not used the card since 2003).

4) Auto loan with Tulsa Federal CU at 7.5%  2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

I reached the 700 club in Dec 2011 after my mortgage broker fought hard to remove inaccurate reporting by Santander Consumer USA, who I never had a loan with (they were inaccurately reporting a CO in 2010)

January 2012:  Closed on a new principle residence.  163k at 4.125%

February 2012:  Applied and approved for Amex Zync NPSL, and Chase Amazon 5k limit (had to recon and explain that all the inqs were from mortgage process)

March 2012:  Applied for NFCU membership.  Refinanced the Ford to 4.05%, shaved one year off the payments;  Pre-approved for NFCU cash rewards card. got approved for 22k, holy crap.

March 2012 Resurrected the JCPenny and CLI to 600.

March 2012 - July 30, 2012   Intense Gardening, got married Smiley Happy,  Auto CLI on JCPenney to $1100

July 30 2012 -  Applied to refinance the first house from 6.125% to 3.5%

August 29, 2012  - Car (2008 Volvo s40 that was paid for) is totalled

Sept 2012 - Opened Navcheck 15k limit, to use for my contractor who is remodeling bathrooms in the first house.  Auto CLIs have brought Discover to 5k

Oct 2012 - Approved for NFCU new auto loan 45k at 1.79%..  will be purchasing a volvo xc90 using European Delivery Program, have 60 days to give the 45k check to the dealership;  No documentation required.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW You've had a busy year. Much in this writeup for me to emulate. THANKS and CONGRATS!

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 13 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditEd wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@CreditEd wrote:

I have reached the 700 club.... since reaching the 700 club, here are the things I have done in the past year. Prior to reaching 700, I had:

1)  a discover card 3600 limit opened in 1999 (this was my only major CC).

2) a mortgage at 6.125% closed in April 2008.

3) A JCPenny card, inactive with a $124 limit (had not used the card since 2003).

4) Auto loan with Tulsa Federal CU at 7.5%  2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

I reached the 700 club in Dec 2011 after my mortgage broker fought hard to remove inaccurate reporting by Santander Consumer USA, who I never had a loan with (they were inaccurately reporting a CO in 2010)

January 2012:  Closed on a new principle residence.  163k at 4.125%

February 2012:  Applied and approved for Amex Zync NPSL, and Chase Amazon 5k limit (had to recon and explain that all the inqs were from mortgage process)

March 2012:  Applied for NFCU membership.  Refinanced the Ford to 4.05%, shaved one year off the payments;  Pre-approved for NFCU cash rewards card. got approved for 22k, holy crap.

March 2012 Resurrected the JCPenny and CLI to 600.

March 2012 - July 30, 2012   Intense Gardening, got married Smiley Happy,  Auto CLI on JCPenney to $1100

July 30 2012 -  Applied to refinance the first house from 6.125% to 3.5%

August 29, 2012  - Car (2008 Volvo s40 that was paid for) is totalled

Sept 2012 - Opened Navcheck 15k limit, to use for my contractor who is remodeling bathrooms in the first house.  Auto CLIs have brought Discover to 5k

Oct 2012 - Approved for NFCU new auto loan 45k at 1.79%..  will be purchasing a volvo xc90 using European Delivery Program, have 60 days to give the 45k check to the dealership;  No documentation required.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW You've had a busy year. Much in this writeup for me to emulate. THANKS and CONGRATS!

LOL it feels like 2012 has been a skyrocket year.  I was so angry at Santander... and I'm glad I was able to win with my broker's help, and with his brokerage threatening to sue them unless the situtation was corrected immediately.

My husband and I feel very fortunate and blessed to be able to move forward with the purchase of a new car, and we plan on paying off the truck with my bonus in March... we'll take US delivery of the new volvo in February, so we plan on continueing to have 3 cars, with only 1 of the cars having a note to pay.

FICO 9:

Message 14 of 21
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

Message 15 of 21
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

@CreditEd wrote:

@TheConductor wrote:

Unless you're a profligate spender, the rewards of refinancing your home or car at a better rate are likely to greatly exceed the rewards you would earn from any prime credit card.

Shop around for the refis first, then and only then look into some additional credit cards.  Your current selection of cards is already pretty prime, and having a solid AAoA and no recent inquiries can only help you in refinancing.

Hoping to add 2 AMEX consumer cards soon. I should be able to do this with a back date of 1998... Haven't yet added a consumer amex because I slipped into their door through a business card 2 years ago. Fortunate enough to have read you guys info about backdating. I hope to heck that they will allow me to obtain a consumer card later this month.

Chase rejected me two months ago with a 695 for a CSP card. Also wondering if I will fly below the rader with them?

Opening those new Amex cards backdating to 1998 will most likely add points to offset the inquiries taken for the apps.  To me, that sounds like a good plan there. If they are revolvers, will also aid in boosting util as well.  Sounds like a plus plus to me

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 16 of 21
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

Opening those new Amex cards backdating to 1998 will most likely add points to offset the inquiries taken for the apps.  To me, that sounds like a good plan there. If they are revolvers, will also aid in boosting util as well.  Sounds like a plus plus to me

Hoping also to "unstick" my HSBC card, stuck at 2k since 2009 and my Chase card stuck at 3k since 2008 (was an old WaMu card. Chase is determined to keep me there I believe). Not sure if I will need to drop these cards and open new company cards. You know the deal, keeping hope alive like a faithful St Bernard...

Message 17 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Totally go for CSP if it interests you... might also look at penfed... they have a great card and no Foreign transaction fees.
FICO 9:

Message 18 of 21
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Totally go for CSP if it interests you... might also look at penfed... they have a great card and no Foreign transaction fees.

Trie to sneak in to NFCU but they needed more proof. Unfortunately I have no military ties and don't think that PenFed will take me. I actually opened a USBank account with 500 in hopes of seasoning it for this day.  Going for the dual affect of the Amexes first, then hope to add a CitiBusiness card. Wish I had more insight as to why my current Chase is stuck and if my previous CSP app was because I was truly borderline at the time?

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

About Amex...which looks better?

Opened in October 1998

Opened in January 1998

Wait until Jan.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.