Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got A Penfed Gold Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got A Penfed Gold Card

I couldn't resist the free app with no inquiry, so I got a Penfed Gold.  I asked for $10k and that's what they gave me.  I guess it will help with keeping my util a bit lower.  I can basically carry $499 a month more as a balance now!  Man Very Happy
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got A Penfed Gold Card

Carrot1 wrote:
I couldn't resist the free app with no inquiry, so I got a Penfed Gold.  I asked for $10k and that's what they gave me.  I guess it will help with keeping my util a bit lower.  I can basically carry $499 a month more as a balance now!  Man Very Happy

Congrats!

As far as the $499, if you are shooting for under 5%, remember that FICO rounds up.  If you want "under 5%", that means $400 or less, in FICO math.

Congrats again!  Penfed is on my list one day, although I'm sure they'd accuse me of pyramiding at the moment.

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

Carrot1 wrote:

Congrats!

As far as the $499, if you are shooting for under 5%, remember that FICO rounds up.  If you want "under 5%", that means $400 or less, in FICO math.

Congrats again!  Penfed is on my list one day, although I'm sure they'd accuse me of pyramiding at the moment.

Wow!  Thanks for the rounding up thing!  I didn't know that!  When you really think about it, under 5% is not much of a balance!  $50k available is less than $2,500.  I'm used to charging a lot more than that on my Amex every month, but I'm going to watch it more closely and try to get it paid before the cycle closes. 

Message Edited by Carrot1 on 06-11-2008 03:30 PM
Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! 

I know if I ever consider applying for new credit, I'm going to be seriously looking at PenFed!

Enjoy your new card!!!
Message 4 of 36
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
As far as the $499, if you are shooting for under 5%, remember that FICO rounds up. If you want "under 5%", that means $400 or less, in FICO math.

WOW!!! So anything over 4% would be 5%??? Geez... I always assumed that anything equal to or greater than .5% would round up - lower would round down. Like how we used to do it in school. Smiley Wink Guess all my pre-payment planning was for nothing - I've been making sure that I always pay down to 9.49%! Back to the spreadsheets...
Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

tonsers wrote:

cheddar wrote:
As far as the $499, if you are shooting for under 5%, remember that FICO rounds up. If you want "under 5%", that means $400 or less, in FICO math.

WOW!!! So anything over 4% would be 5%??? Geez... I always assumed that anything equal to or greater than .5% would round up - lower would round down. Like how we used to do it in school. Smiley Wink Guess all my pre-payment planning was for nothing - I've been making sure that I always pay down to 9.49%! Back to the spreadsheets...

I don't know for certain whether 9.49% would round up or down, but I do know that the 4.99% mentioned above would round to 5%.

I always play it safe by setting my target at the next lowest full percentage point.  "Less than 10%" means 9%.

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still waiting for my PenFed card. What state is the return address from ? If it's from VA, I should have received it by no.
Message 7 of 36
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am still waiting for my PenFed card. What state is the return address from ? If it's from VA, I should have received it by no.

You can call and ask when it was mailed. They are great.
Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

firstinlastout wrote:

I haven't recieved the card yet.  I just did the app yesterday.
Message 9 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think mine took a good 5-6 days.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.