Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Alot of Love From CapOne

tag
notmyj
Regular Contributor

Got Alot of Love From CapOne

I opened a cap one card back in Aug of 2010. This was my first card after starting to rebuild my credit, and getting alot of collections removed. I started with a $500 limit. In June of this year, I called for a credit limit increase and was given a new limit of $750. Sweet, this is going well. Since that time, a few things happened and I carried a large balance ($700) on it till about 2 weeks ago when I paid it in full. It reported yesterday with a $9 balance. Today I get a email alert from them saying I have a message. No message was in my acct, but my credit limit jumped... alot.

My limit went from $750 to $2250. I didn't ask for an increase, it was just given. Perhaps CapOne is getting more generous with credit limits...

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Smug
Established Contributor

Re: Got Alot of Love From CapOne

Congrats. I opened mine the same as you, never got another dime, just over a year and a month oldSmiley Sad
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 2 of 22
notmyj
Regular Contributor

If you have a good payment history and its not maxed out, give them a call and ask if you're eligible for a limit increase. I did this the first time and they gave put me up to $250. I was not part of the Credit Steps program that they offer. I have never seen them do a hard pull when I asked either.

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 3 of 22
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@notmyj wrote:

If you have a good payment history and its not maxed out, give them a call and ask if you're eligible for a limit increase. I did this the first time and they gave put me up to $250. I was not part of the Credit Steps program that they offer. I have never seen them do a hard pull when I asked either.

This has been discussed quite a bit in previous threads. The consensus seems to be that one reaches a point with the Cap 1 rebuilders cards -- somewhere between $ 1500 and 3000 -- after which no CLI is given. The best strategy at that point is:

- move on to prime cards or decent ones, depending on where your score is

- sockdrawer your old Cap 1 / or close it if it has an AF

- if you feel strongly about Cap 1 go back to them with an excellent score and get one of their prime cards

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 4 of 22
Smug
Established Contributor

I did today they said no......
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 5 of 22
Smug
Established Contributor

I have 5k prime now, so not worried.
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! That is a big jump for Cap1. Congratulations!!!

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a huge jump! congrats!

Just checked mine, and...nope. I've had the same Cap1 Platinum at a $300 limit for 3.5 years, and they refuse to increase the limit on this card

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats a huge jump! congrats!

Just checked mine, and...nope. I've had the same Cap1 Platinum at a $300 limit for 3.5 years, and they refuse to increase the limit on this card

how are your scores and do you have negative stuff like collections or public records?

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

All scores around 675, 1 baddie collection from 2009, paid as agreed. Otherwise, my aaoa is way down from this year and I have a lot of inqs. Otherwise a clean report

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.