Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Hit with BOA Blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got Hit with BOA Blacklist

I think I'm also on the BoA blacklist from 2008.  Come to think of it why am I still banking with them?  I need to switch my direct deposit and banking to a fresh bank.

Message 11 of 18
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, I shouldn't have called it a toy limit. Smiley Sad I guess I was thinking about when I was 18 with no stated income and BOA gave me a $2750 starting limit (which of course, I almost immediately defaulted on).

Oh and the recent BOA rewards card approval was also instant. I'm guessing FIA/BOA did a deeper dive on my history when I applied for the Fidelity Amex.

I know the feeling.  Citi gave me a $3500 limit when I was 18.  Now, they won't go above $1,320.  Makes me feel like a child!  

As for the blacklist, it seems like you're okay with BoA; Fidelity just might be more persnickety. 

Message 12 of 18
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I burned BoA back in 2008 too. Young and stupid. They charged off my secured credit card for around $800. I settled with them last year as a condition of my mortgage lender. I've often wondered if I'd be blacklisted, but thankfully they've never had a product that makes me remotely think about applying for to find out!

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 13 of 18
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Any big purchases that we make goes on my husband's cards, so I like for his limits to be 10k+.... and by big purchases (cars aside) I don't think we have spent more than 8k. My purchases usually do not exceeds the hundreds, so I am content when my credit card limits are between 3k-6k. If it is less than 3k I have to admit, it is slightly disappointing. I do agree that 2k is standard.

Either which way, I would re-apply again within the next 6 months to a year, I would wait a year, but that is just me. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Very strange situation, or maybe not so strange if you're in the know.

Background: Burned BOA a long time ago during my college days (10+ years ago) with ~$2500 CO. Also burned them with ~$200 CO on checking account at the same time.

Present day:  A few weeks ago, applied for BOA rewards card. Was certain I'd get declined due scores/inqs or BL, but ran out of cards to apply for (yes, I have problems). Amazingly was approved with toy limit ($2K, unsecured).

A few days later, pressed my luck and applied for Fidelity Amex (the 2% CB one). No instant decision, and I forgot about it until today. Called FIA CS to ask about status of app and was told I was denied due to previous delinquency with FIA "or one of [their] partners" (ie, BOA). Smiley Sad  Heart sank, and I basically said OK and hung up. The BOA CC and checking accounts were the only derogs I've ever had with anyone.

I'm now waiting for AA on my newly opened BOA rewards card. Smiley Sad  Should have quit while I was ahead. ha.

2K is a toy limit?  I didn't know that.  Apparently, I am the only one on this forum that is not making FICO-Moderator-bonus type of money...Smiley Embarassed

That's gotta be pizzadude making the big bucks! Smiley LOL

Aren't you a Chase Private Bank client?   All from editing "Please PM the email for Cap One EO" posts!

Yep.

Wouldn't  that be something!?! Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Very strange situation, or maybe not so strange if you're in the know.

Background: Burned BOA a long time ago during my college days (10+ years ago) with ~$2500 CO. Also burned them with ~$200 CO on checking account at the same time.

Present day:  A few weeks ago, applied for BOA rewards card. Was certain I'd get declined due scores/inqs or BL, but ran out of cards to apply for (yes, I have problems). Amazingly was approved with toy limit ($2K, unsecured).

A few days later, pressed my luck and applied for Fidelity Amex (the 2% CB one). No instant decision, and I forgot about it until today. Called FIA CS to ask about status of app and was told I was denied due to previous delinquency with FIA "or one of [their] partners" (ie, BOA). Smiley Sad  Heart sank, and I basically said OK and hung up. The BOA CC and checking accounts were the only derogs I've ever had with anyone.

I'm now waiting for AA on my newly opened BOA rewards card. Smiley Sad  Should have quit while I was ahead. ha.

2K is a toy limit?  I didn't know that.  Apparently, I am the only one on this forum that is not making FICO-Moderator-bonus type of money...Smiley Embarassed

That's gotta be pizzadude making the big bucks! Smiley LOL

Aren't you a Chase Private Bank client?   All from editing "Please PM the email for Cap One EO" posts!

Yep.

Wouldn't  that be something!?! Smiley LOL

How do I get this job? lol 

Message 16 of 18
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Smiley Happy i never heard anyone call 2k toy limit . 500 ok that is  toy. but 2k is around standard starting limit. with scores in the 600's. wth. if your scores in mid 700s  ok 5k. would be good starting limit. the longer you have the higher your limit will go . unless there is lot of risk. as you stated. you scores all are between 650-670

depending on your credit journey a 2k limit could be considered a toy limit. If your other card approvals are trending towards 10k, and they give you a 2k limit, its a sign you have app'd too much or the lender just doesn't trust you at the moment, and you will really have to earn their trust to get anywhere with them. 

I will probably wait till citi-bank gives me an invite before I AP for one of their cards again, my first Citi card I got a 6k CL, second card a 2k CL. Citi is definitely off my preferred lender list,  the same day Chase gave me a $20k limit and it was only my second AP that day. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 17 of 18
devastatah
New Contributor

I had situation similar with them burned early in my career with checking acct for $400 bucks in 2003 when I was young and dumb. I was told I would be on the blacklist. It took me 12 years to get off apparantly cause I was recently approved with a 10K limit on a Mastercard. I still wonder if I am on the list and they just approved it because I have a good payment history. Though a USAA and Navy Fed Banking customer I still play with trying to open an checking account with them out of convienence being that they had a billion branches unlike Navy Fed and USAA. Then I see the BOA checking nightmare stories and I come back to my senses.

As far as the toy limit goes to some (not to be snobbish) 2K is considered pretty low to some when you have lenders extending 20-30k limits on one card. A lot of people don't start out there (I remember when I only had a secured card and a 300 dollar limit at Wal-Mart) but there are so many success stories on this board about playing the credit game to win. I continue to learn from the stories of others and how to be wise in my credit approach.

AmEx Platinum NPSL, AmEx Gold Delta 22K, AmEx Everyday 10K, Penfed Defender AmEx 5K, BankAmericard MC 14k, BoA Travel Rewards 18k, Penfed Thrifty Credit Service 500.00 Blispay Visa 7.5k,
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa - 22K, NFCU Plat MC - 22K
Penfed Gold Visa 19K, Lowes 35K, NFCU Visa 14K, NFCU MC 13K, NFCU NavChek LOC - 15K
Discover It 19K, WalMart 20K, Bank of Amer MC 10K, Citi Simplicity $8,800, BarclayCard Rewards MC 11K, AAFES Mil Star 8.1K, Citi Dia Pref Visa $9.7K, USAA Rate Adv MC 7K, , Chase Freedom 3.5K, Chase Amazon Visa 1.6k

724 Discover FICO Nov 14, 735 WalMart FICO Nov 14, Equifax Advantage Pull 740 Sept 2016
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.