Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got My NPSL Back!!!

tag
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

Got My NPSL Back!!!

About a year ago I laid awake in bed dreaming of how to maximize getting AMEX points. I LOVE my AMEX points as I spend them regularly for many amazon purchases. In fact I bought a ceramic grill from Amazon this summer specifically because I could buy it in full with Amex points. I also buy many things via paypal and have my AMEX card as my primary pay source.

As the old saying goes "idol minds are the work of the Devil... (or something like that???)"

So I got the great idea to open a second paypal account and pay myself and transfer money to myself while funding the payments with my AMEX card. I did about three transactions and BOOYAWWWW!!!. AMEX did a financial review on me. After lots of begging and pleading I talked the lady in to not taking my card in total. But she did impose an $8,000 per month limit on my card. This REALLY hurt b/c I pay all of my automated bills via AMEX card, and even my kids tuition through a payment plan service and fund it through my AMEX card. So I hit and exceed this limit quite a bit through the year.

Whole point of this story is that so many people have tried to accumulate points by transferring funds through paypal that the legal clauses (fineprint) that you accept upon applying for your AMEX card expressly prohibit transferring money to yourself via paypal. And I am living proof that they will come down on you like a ton of bricks!!!

So as on 8/20/12 AMEX has just removed my cap and again granted me my NPSL!!!!! The scarlet letter has been liftedCat Very Happy

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Got My NPSL Back!!!

You are lucky that PayPal or AMEX didn't shut you down for this. Using two PayPal accounts to transfer money in between is against both companies policy! Especially with AMEX since technically this is a cash advance transaction.

Good to hear you got your NPSL back, don't repeat your mistake again.

Message 2 of 11
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

You are lucky that PayPal or AMEX didn't shut you down for this. Using two PayPal accounts to transfer money in between is against both companies policy! Especially with AMEX since technically this is a cash advance transaction.

Good to hear you got your NPSL back, don't repeat your mistake again.

Believe me. I was in tears on the phone. Not only will I not do this anymore, I'll also be doing ALOT of reading of the Terms and Agreement of each and every new trade line that I open.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 3 of 11
n777ua
Established Contributor

I can't believe they let you keep the account at all.  This is one of the biggest 'no-no's' at Amex & Paypal...glad it worked out

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 11
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

I can't believe they let you keep the account at all.  This is one of the biggest 'no-no's' at Amex & Paypal...glad it worked out

Hopefully some other embesile will see this thread rather than jumping off the personal fiscal cliff...

Message 5 of 11
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

That's a tough lesson to learn - you were very lucky!  Thanks for posting/sharing your experience.  Glad it worked out for you.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 6 of 11
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Yep - you caught a lucky break on this.

Learn and move forward...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 7 of 11
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Reminds me of an officer and a gentleman:

"“In every class, there’s always one joker who thinks that he’s smarter than me. In this class, that happens to be you. Isn’t it, Mayonnaise?” 

Good break man, good luck and do the right thing from on now!

Message 8 of 11
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

Yep - you caught a lucky break on this.

Learn and move forward...

Actually got my Gold Card (at the time) declined buying a $32 makeup case for my Sister n Laws Christmas present last December. A large autopay bill had hit my account the night previously. Could have done a Larry David skit based off of my reaction...

Was also surprised that they offerred me an upgrade to Platinum prior to this being clreared as well. Trust me, I've learned my lesson!!! 

Message 9 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on getting your NPSL back!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.