Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got PRG in Oct, how long should I wait to get Platinum

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Got PRG in Oct, how long should I wait to get Platinum

@Jarrodpd wrote:

I APPed for a PRG in mid October, is there a certain amount of time I should wait to apply for a Platinum?

It's not simply a matter of X time for everyone.   It all depends on your credit.

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Why do you want to charge cards? The platinum does everything the PRG does but way more hence the larger AF.

Have you looked at both cards?  Don't just assume that Platinum > Gold.  The Platinum has benefits that the PRG does not.  The PRG has bonus rewards earn that the Platinum does not.  There are people that carry both for those reasons.

Message 11 of 18
rlx01
Established Contributor

I also plan to app for the Ameriprise Plat in Jan. That as well as the EDP.

I'll then cancel the PRG when the AF comes up in March.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id upgrade to a plat for 100k offer Smiley Very Happy
Message 13 of 18
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Jarrodpd wrote:

I APPed for a PRG in mid October, is there a certain amount of time I should wait to apply for a Platinum?

It's not simply a matter of X time for everyone.   It all depends on your credit.

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Why do you want to charge cards? The platinum does everything the PRG does but way more hence the larger AF.

Have you looked at both cards?  Don't just assume that Platinum > Gold.  The Platinum has benefits that the PRG does not.  The PRG has bonus rewards earn that the Platinum does not.  There are people that carry both for those reasons.

As of today my scores range from 721 to 740, though assuming nothing changes they should increase. 

The reason im considering the Platinum card is because next year I will most likely go on two trips abroad, the benefit of the Platinum is that it covers more $ in baggage loss or damage. My parents like to go scuba diving and their equipment is rather expensive so, otherwise we would take a loss on the item. Also the other travel benefits like free lounge access and no FTF.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 14 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'm gonna be going for the amerprise platinum card soon as well. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 15 of 18
rlx01
Established Contributor

Make sure to use the 25k MR link.
Message 16 of 18
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

I hope they make a mistake and send me a 100K offer Smiley Very Happy

@rlx01 wrote:
Make sure to use the 25k MR link.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 17 of 18
PointLager
Established Contributor

@Jarrodpd 

Take a look at which airlines you intend to fly and then compare that to the lounge access you get abroad with the Amex Platinum (via Premium Pass).

Also I found that Amex doesn't have the best travel insurance compared to other cards.  Search the web for full PDFs of their coverage policies.

I have:

MB Amex Platinum  ($475)

Chase Sapphire Preferred *

United MilegePlus Club Card

out of the above I have found the CSP the better choice for insurance coverage.  Amex to my knowledge doesnt even cover trip cancelation etc nor does it insure you if you are on an award flight.   CSP insures you if you pay for SOME portion of your ticket.  

My preferred trip goals are flights to Europe and for that I find United the best.   So when flying around Europe I've found the Star Alliance lounges to be the better choice for me.  

Also another observation I made was that the Chase cards gave me a more competitive FX rate vs Amex. All three cards had no AF but i found the Amex rate to be around 1% against my favor.

Here is my own thesis for having each of the above cards:

Amex Platinum:

Pros

- SPG Gold status allows me

- National Car Rental executive status 

- the only one of my cards that covers lost items as part of purchase protection

- most of my higher value purchases go on the platinum, despite the United Club card having 120d purchase protection vs 90d for amex

- Centurion Lounges are great 

- $200 airline fee reimbursement lowers the effective AF cost

Cons

- none of the lounge access through the card allows guests

- delta lounge acces is only valid if i am flying on delta

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Pros

- i use it exclusively for 2x dining and 2x travel, with broad definition of travel (cabs, public transit, paid parking)

- chase shopping portal

-Cons:  $95 annual fee.  

United Mileage Club Card

- i really like 1.5x UA miles on all spend. i've been putting quite a bit of spend on this card

- i can bring guests to the lounges without extra fees, even if not flying on United.  For overseas Star Alliance lounges you have to be flying on a Star Alliance flight and present the United Club card to enter

- Cons:  $395 AF.  I had it waived first year and I will see if i will renew this card.  UA points add up quickly with it so i may cling to this card yet

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.