cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a Preselected Green Amex letter today....

tag
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Got a Preselected Green Amex letter today....

So, I got a preselected letter from Amex today for a green card.  My scores are a bit lower than they were a month ago due to usage.  I have a 660/661 TU/EQ w/ a 71% uti.  AAOA about 7 years, 4 cards right now, all in good standing (I have a Cap 1, Orchard bank, and 2 first premier <-- UGGG).  This would be the perfect card to replace the first premier cards!  I also have the last negative on my account happening 7 months ago ( a stupid oversight on a 60 day late for student loans that has since really hurt me less and less).  My last collection was 3.2 years ago.  I can probably afford the inq., I have 1 on TU and 2 on EQ that happened around 5 months ago.

I have some questions: 

1.  Does preselected usually mean I'll get approved? 

2.  What's the usual starting CL for a new Amex cardholder with my score?

3.  Is this something you guys would go after?

4.  Should I pay off my ccs to get around 7% uti to get a much higher score therefore getting a higher CL?

Thanks so much guys!

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
BundiFan
Regular Contributor

Re: Got a Preselected Green Amex letter today....

with a your most recent baddie only being 7 months ago I wouldn't think your chances aren't that good

Message 2 of 15
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

You said you wouldn't think they weren't that good?  Not being a smartass, but were you using a double negative to mean that I WOULD have a good chance or that I wouldn't have a good chance?

Also, this is a preselected letter.  Wouldn't that typically mean I would have a shot?

Message 3 of 15
favre_2_free
New Contributor

I was preselected for a Gold Card with less than desirable CR's, and decided to do it because I had nothing to lose.  I got it, and at first my spending availabilty was around $1000, and not it says I have $7500 availability. 

Amex Gold, Capital One VentureOne & Platium Cards, AAA BoA Signature Visa, Barclays Airtran & Frontier Airlines Cards, Paypal MC, Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard and Chase Speedway Mastercard....and I FINALLY Welcome to Discover...thank you and have a great day!!!!
EX: 667 (8/6 Amex App) - EQ 700 - TU 697
Message 4 of 15
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Thanks favre, do you remember what your scores were at the time?

Message 5 of 15
favre_2_free
New Contributor

I didn't have anything besides FAKO's, and I'm pretty sure they were lower than yours.  I just remember thinking I wouldn't get it, but had nothing to lose by applying.  It was the first time I had ever gotten anything perselected from AMEX.

PS...this was just in December.

Amex Gold, Capital One VentureOne & Platium Cards, AAA BoA Signature Visa, Barclays Airtran & Frontier Airlines Cards, Paypal MC, Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard and Chase Speedway Mastercard....and I FINALLY Welcome to Discover...thank you and have a great day!!!!
Message 6 of 15
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Thanks favre, and you went from 1000 to 7500 in just a few months?

Message 7 of 15
favre_2_free
New Contributor

Theres a button to test your spending availablity, since there is no limit, and it needs to be PIF every month.  So I periodically check it, and yes, I started around 1k, and I just tested it for $7500 and it said I'd be approved.  I've also tried a higher number and it was denied.

Message 8 of 15
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone  else have any experience with this situation?

Thanks!!

Message 9 of 15
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@pritchardhallhokie wrote:

Does anyone  else have any experience with this situation?

Thanks!!

I got declined for the Zync card after receiving a preselected offer.. My student loan late payments were at least 2 years old.. But my utilization was high at the time. Around 50% I think. My Experian PLUS score was 626.. My Equifax and TransUnion FICOs were in the 640 - 660 range.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.