Frequent Contributor
pritchardhallhokie

Got a Preselected Green Amex letter today....

So, I got a preselected letter from Amex today for a green card.  My scores are a bit lower than they were a month ago due to usage.  I have a 660/661 TU/EQ w/ a 71% uti.  AAOA about 7 years, 4 cards right now, all in good standing (I have a Cap 1, Orchard bank, and 2 first premier <-- UGGG).  This would be the perfect card to replace the first premier cards!  I also have the last negative on my account happening 7 months ago ( a stupid oversight on a 60 day late for student loans that has since really hurt me less and less).  My last collection was 3.2 years ago.  I can probably afford the inq., I have 1 on TU and 2 on EQ that happened around 5 months ago.

I have some questions: 

1.  Does preselected usually mean I'll get approved? 

2.  What's the usual starting CL for a new Amex cardholder with my score?

3.  Is this something you guys would go after?

4.  Should I pay off my ccs to get around 7% uti to get a much higher score therefore getting a higher CL?

Thanks so much guys!

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
BundiFan

Re: Got a Preselected Green Amex letter today....

[ Edited ]

with a your most recent baddie only being 7 months ago I wouldn't think your chances aren't that good

Starting Score: 625
Current Score: 761
Goal Score: 750

Frequent Contributor
pritchardhallhokie

You said you wouldn't think they weren't that good?  Not being a smartass, but were you using a double negative to mean that I WOULD have a good chance or that I wouldn't have a good chance?

Also, this is a preselected letter.  Wouldn't that typically mean I would have a shot?

New Contributor
favre_2_free

[ Edited ]

I was preselected for a Gold Card with less than desirable CR's, and decided to do it because I had nothing to lose.  I got it, and at first my spending availabilty was around $1000, and not it says I have $7500 availability. 

Amex Gold, Capital One VentureOne & Platium Cards, AAA BoA Signature Visa, Barclays Airtran & Frontier Airlines Cards, Paypal MC, Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard and Chase Speedway Mastercard....and I FINALLY Welcome to Discover...thank you and have a great day!!!!
EX: 667 (8/6 Amex App) - EQ 700 - TU 697
Frequent Contributor
pritchardhallhokie

Thanks favre, do you remember what your scores were at the time?

New Contributor
favre_2_free

[ Edited ]

I didn't have anything besides FAKO's, and I'm pretty sure they were lower than yours.  I just remember thinking I wouldn't get it, but had nothing to lose by applying.  It was the first time I had ever gotten anything perselected from AMEX.

PS...this was just in December.

Amex Gold, Capital One VentureOne & Platium Cards, AAA BoA Signature Visa, Barclays Airtran & Frontier Airlines Cards, Paypal MC, Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard and Chase Speedway Mastercard....and I FINALLY Welcome to Discover...thank you and have a great day!!!!
Frequent Contributor
pritchardhallhokie

Thanks favre, and you went from 1000 to 7500 in just a few months?

New Contributor
favre_2_free

Theres a button to test your spending availablity, since there is no limit, and it needs to be PIF every month.  So I periodically check it, and yes, I started around 1k, and I just tested it for $7500 and it said I'd be approved.  I've also tried a higher number and it was denied.

Frequent Contributor
pritchardhallhokie

Does anyone  else have any experience with this situation?

Thanks!!

Frequent Contributor
FicoScore626

pritchardhallhokie wrote:

Does anyone  else have any experience with this situation?

Thanks!!

I got declined for the Zync card after receiving a preselected offer.. My student loan late payments were at least 2 years old.. But my utilization was high at the time. Around 50% I think. My Experian PLUS score was 626.. My Equifax and TransUnion FICOs were in the 640 - 660 range.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+