Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got ahead of myself and knocked 5 steps back :(

tag
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

Got ahead of myself and knocked 5 steps back :(

I just bought a house (Sept 30th) with a mid score of 664 and was receiving constant offers from Citi bank for their credit cards. During the closing process I ran up one of my cards and didnt get to pay in full before the due date. My score dropped 40 points and I had to wait a whole month for the updated balance to report so I could apply for some new cards. Well I received that SW email today and was disappointed that my score went up but not to where it was before but I thought I would try my chances anyway and applied for Chase (denied), Citi (received the 10 day message=denied), Lowes-$300 limit (what's the point), and TD Bank (received the 10 day message=denied). Smiley Sad Smiley Sad So not only did I just add 4 new inquiries to my report and have almost nothing to show for it, the drop from the inquiries will set me back probably 20-30 points and I will have to wait 6 months-1 year to get my score back up to something decent. I was on a credit high having just bought a house without any problems but now that old familiar feeling of rejection is back and my confidence is shot... with my credit to follow. Smiley Embarassed

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Got ahead of myself and knocked 5 steps back :(

It happens to the best of us.

Did you actually get a denial from the 10 day letters, or are you just assuming they will be a denial? 10 day messages arent always denials. 

Lowe's is a GECRB card, so don't let that 300$ limit worry you. GECRB is really a great company to work with when it comes to CLIs. Just make sure you treat it well. As for the others, I would try to recon with chase, their recons are usually pretty helpful. As for TD and Citi...sometimes you just get denied...it happens. 

Congratulations on your new house, and good luck in your future credit journeys Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Sorry for the denials but did you call Chase to recon? Were the reasons for the denials valid?

By the way... Congratulations on your new home! That's an awesome achievement and you should not hang your head at all!
Message 3 of 20
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

At least your Lowes will grow quickly. Sorry to hear about the declines. Time heals all wounds including credit scores.Smiley Happy

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 20
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Read up on Chase reconsideration.  They've denied me in the past, but if anybody can overturn a denial, it's Chase.  Be prepared to cover any questions honestly about your credit report (and address any negatives you may have - take ownership), why you want the card, and tha you plan to use it heavily and pay in full every month.

Citi is a tough one to crack sometimes, so don't let that get you too down.  I think you have a really good shot with Chase (recon).

Message 5 of 20
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Be sure to recon with Chase! A denial can go to an approval just with a phone call. Just state your case and more often than not, the analyst will look into it and hopefully get it approved!

I've never applied for anything with TD, so I don't know how to recon with them. Some people have had success writing to Citi's EO for recon, but be prepared to have a second HP.

Message 6 of 20
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Read up on Chase reconsideration.  They've denied me in the past, but if anybody can overturn a denial, it's Chase.  Be prepared to cover any questions honestly about your credit report (and address any negatives you may have - take ownership), why you want the card, and tha you plan to use it heavily and pay in full every month.

Citi is a tough one to crack sometimes, so don't let that get you too down.  I think you have a really good shot with Chase (recon).

Thank you all for your responses. I just assumed that the 10 day messages were denials. Do I have to wait until I get the letters in the mail or is there a number I can call to recon now?

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 20
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@newhouse2013 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Thank you all for your responses. I just assumed that the 10 day messages were denials. Do I have to wait until I get the letters in the mail or is there a number I can call to recon now?

I never wait for the letter. Head over to the Backdoor Numbers thread and there is one that connects you directly with a Credit Analyst. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

No! Use the numbers in the backdoor sticky and call
Message 9 of 20
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Please keep us updated!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.