Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got another offer from Citi today

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got another offer from Citi today

So I posted a thread about a week ago about how excited I was to receive my first preapproved offer from a prime lender, specifically Citi-Flex LOC.

Seems Citi is really after me.  Today I got an offer for Platinum Select MC.

It's not on my wishlist.  No rewards.  But....they're offering me 0% for 12 months and 9.9% fixed after that.  This is the best APR I have ever been offered.  The next closest was a WaMu preapproval I received for 11.99% variable.

I don't like non-rewards cards, but I do like the APR on this one.

Should I go for it?  (After my three month rule is up, naturally.)

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got another offer from Citi today

strike while the irons hot! jump on it, citi will let you do a product change later.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

dnm45227 wrote:
strike while the irons hot! jump on it, citi will let you do a product change later.

Hmmm....well maybe an exception to the rule might be in order.

I am going to wait at least a couple of weeks, though.  Two cards inadvertantly reported a balance last month and I want to wait until they report $0 this month.

I suppose it's good to have a low-APR card, even if it doesn't have rewards.  Just in case I want to take a while to pay back a major purchase someday, like the $7K Tempurpedic we've been looking at recently.

Also, I guess I could always make the purchase on a rewards card then BT it over to the Citi.  Best of both worlds that way.

Decisions, decisions, ...

Message 3 of 14
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

It might be a good idea to wait, because Citi might extend you an offer for a different card.  Before I became a Citi cardholder, I often times received offers for various Citi cards.  I'd receive an offer for one card, then later in the week or month, another pre-approved offer would arrive for a different Citi card.  When I accepted my "invitation" for my Dividend Platinum Select MC, I also, at the same time, had an offer for their Diamond Preferred Rewards card.  Just take note of your current offer's expiration date. 
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 4 of 14
greekjim
Contributor

Those beds cost $7,000?
EQ- 727 5/12/10
TU- 746 5/12/10
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi cheddar,  I did received many different offers in the mail as psychic said include what you received.  This is what I did when I got those many different offers.  I kept the mails I was interested in and waited until before the offer expires.  The reason of that is same as psychic.  You never know, you may receives better offer later.  I agree with you about Low APR after the intro 0% APR is over is good rate.  It is hard to get lower than 10% APR.  But, take your time.  Don't jump on it right a way. 
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So I posted a thread about a week ago about how excited I was to receive my first preapproved offer from a prime lender, specifically Citi-Flex LOC.
Seems Citi is really after me. Today I got an offer for Platinum Select MC.
It's not on my wishlist. No rewards. But....they're offering me 0% for 12 months and 9.9% fixed after that. This is the best APR I have ever been offered. The next closest was a WaMu preapproval I received for 11.99% variable.
I don't like non-rewards cards, but I do like the APR on this one.
Should I go for it? (After my three month rule is up, naturally.)

The BoA Amex, which I know is on your wishlist, has a 9.9% fixed APR.
Message 7 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I agree about saving the offers and keeping an eye on the expiration date.

But I do want to point out to those who understandably say that there is no point in fighting for optimum scores by managing util, timing your payments, and so forth, until you're ready to app for something: you never know when an intriguing offer will come along and maybe change your timetable. If you can stand to do the maintenance involved in optimizing scores, you will be in the best position possible if something pops up that makes sense.

Or if your back demands the benefits of Swedish visco-elastic technology! Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

greekjim wrote:
Those beds cost $7,000?

Not all of them.  For a queen-sized bed, the mattress by itself starts at around $1200.  That's for the cheapest one.

The one we're looking at is on the upper end of the scale, $6K for the mattress, then another $500 for the foundation.  Then we'll have to buy the actual bed separately, which we're budgeting around $500 for.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

ChaoticKinesis wrote:

The BoA Amex, which I know is on your wishlist, has a 9.9% fixed APR.

Now that is an excellent point!  And it's even a rewards card.

Come to think of it, the other card on my wishlist right now is 9.8% fixed.

What was I thinking?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.