Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got approved for AMEX gold, have backdating question

tag
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

Got approved for AMEX gold, have backdating question

I got approved for an AMEX gold card today after looking at the pre-qual page on the website.  I'm stoked to get get this card, happy that my credit profile is moving in the right direction.

Here's my question, I've had a Corp Amex card for the past 9 years, it's still active but has never shown on any of my CRs, will AMEX backdate my new Gold Card to reflect I've been a member since 2003 and report that info to all 3 CRAs?

Thanks.

Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Re: Got approved for AMEX gold, have backdating question

Short answer, no. Backdating is only applicable to personal credit/charge card holders, and maybe authorized users (although I'm not really certain about this one)...

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 2 of 16
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

Interesting, once I get my card, I'll give them a call and ask.

Doesn't hurt to try I guess...

Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 3 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@searchingfor67 wrote:

Short answer, no. Backdating is only applicable to personal credit/charge card holders, and maybe authorized users (although I'm not really certain about this one)...

AMEX does not backdate AU, though some people managed to slip the crack.

Message 4 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Madman94044 wrote:

I got approved for an AMEX gold card today after looking at the pre-qual page on the website.  I'm stoked to get get this card, happy that my credit profile is moving in the right direction.

Here's my question, I've had a Corp Amex card for the past 9 years, it's still active but has never shown on any of my CRs, will AMEX backdate my new Gold Card to reflect I've been a member since 2003 and report that info to all 3 CRAs?

Thanks.

AMex recently revised their back dating policy. In the past you can get back dated based on AU and I think corporate card membership. Under the new policy its only based on when you actually became a primary cardmember.

You might try and see if you can get the account backdated based on your corporate card membership, it wont hurt to ask.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 16
Rexmundi000

I Just got a new account backdated as a previous AU 2 months ago. Did something change very recently?

Message 6 of 16
BullsEye10
New Contributor

I'm with Rex on this one ... I applied for and was approved for the AMEX Platinum card on June 6 of this year.

My card says member since 89, when I became an AU on my fathers account (interestingly, that card was cancelled in 1994 and it didn't matter).

More importantly, on my Experian report it reports as a 23 year old account!

Unless this is a brand new policy (newer than the last 60 days) you should be ok ... just make sure to tell a CSR what you want (that's what I had to do).

Oh, and Congrats on the approval!

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Message 7 of 16
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

I thought the policy change was that when an additional card member (ACM) gets their own account the new account is "backdated" to when the ACM became an AU on the account.

For example, I added my son to one of my accounts last year, if he gets his own card this year it will be backdated to 2011. His current card shows member since date of 1984. Under the new policy even as an ACM he would have had a card dated 2011.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 8 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Rexmundi000 wrote:

I Just got a new account backdated as a previous AU 2 months ago. Did something change very recently?

The last backdating policy change was 11-11.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

I thought the policy change was that when an additional card member (ACM) gets their own account the new account is "backdated" to when the ACM became an AU on the account.

For example, I added my son to one of my accounts last year, if he gets his own card this year it will be backdated to 2011. His current card shows member since date of 1984. Under the new policy even as an ACM he would have had a card dated 2011.

There were a couple backdating policy changes. The first  change was to backdate to when the ACM became a AU. The second (11-11) was to only backdate when the cardholder was an acual accountholder.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.