cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my 1st CC account opened since 2006 (BK filed 06).. want to apply for a 2nd card

tag
pi-r-squared
Frequent Contributor

Got my 1st CC account opened since 2006 (BK filed 06).. want to apply for a 2nd card

In December of last year, I took a whim and applied for a Cap One Platinum Card (the $0 first year fee, $19 after that....) and was granted a CL of $3000.  Now, when I perform the "see if you're pre-qualified" action on the Cap One website, I am pre-qualified for Cap One Venture Rewards, Quicksiliver, and Platinum Prestige.  Over on Credit Karma, it says I have "good" odds of getting these approved and "very good" odds on being approved for Barclaycard and Cap One QuicksilverOne.  I'm almost 90 days into having my card and I have a 25% Utilization (nearly $750 balance).

Is it a good time to apply for a 2nd card so soon after getting approved in December 2014?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Got my 1st CC account opened since 2006 (BK filed 06).. want to apply for a 2nd card

If it says that you are pre qualified I would go for it. The Quicksilver is a good one since you get 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got my 1st CC account opened since 2006 (BK filed 06).. want to apply for a 2nd card

@pi-r-squared wrote:

In December of last year, I took a whim and applied for a Cap One Platinum Card (the $0 first year fee, $19 after that....) and was granted a CL of $3000.  Now, when I perform the "see if you're pre-qualified" action on the Cap One website, I am pre-qualified for Cap One Venture Rewards, Quicksiliver, and Platinum Prestige.  Over on Credit Karma, it says I have "good" odds of getting these approved and "very good" odds on being approved for Barclaycard and Cap One QuicksilverOne.  I'm almost 90 days into having my card and I have a 25% Utilization (nearly $750 balance).

Is it a good time to apply for a 2nd card so soon after getting approved in December 2014?

DO NOT rely on CreditKarma for 'preapprovals'.  They are not reliable and just marketing schemes as those cards pay CK.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@pi-r-squared wrote:

DO NOT rely on CreditKarma for 'preapprovals'.  They are not reliable and just marketing schemes as those cards pay CK.

+1..

Message 4 of 24
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I would apply for the Cap1 Venture.

I would wait until the first card has at least 7 months on it and then apply to Barclay's.  They like to see a little history.  No need to burn an INQ.

You actually might be able to get a Discover but probably better to wait and make them #3 or #4.

A good starting lineup would be:

Cap 1, Cap 1, Barclay's, Discover.

Then Maybe one or two (max) store cards:

Wal-Mart (free FICO) and Lowes (high credit limits in short time)

Message 5 of 24
pi-r-squared
Frequent Contributor

So if I were to narrow my choices, it would be QuicksilverOne, Quicksilver, and Venture. Would I have better chances at getting the card if I pay an annual fee versus a no fee card? Basically, I'd rather be accepted and pay the $39 for QuicksilverOne than get rejected for Quicksilver. Any advice?

Message 6 of 24
lctachell
Valued Member

My wife got a Quick silver then a barclay 6 months later

I got Cap 1 Sparks (business) then Cap1 Venture. Declined for barclays (told me to try again 6 months)

You should have no problem getting 2nd card

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're more likely to succeed with the QS1 than the QS, but we can't tell you the odds of either one without your scores. I don't know how accurate CapOne's preapproval messages are. 

Message 8 of 24
pi-r-squared
Frequent Contributor

My Eq FICO score yesterday (from myFICO) was 706. That's the only official FICO score I have since I only paid $4.95 for 1st month Score Watch.

Message 9 of 24
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well look like he got the pre approval directly from cap one. he just mentioned his odds from credit karma. if cap one site says congratulation for the following cards then you are golden. i say go for the venture and the big limit regardless of AF. quicksilver is also very very good card. no matter what. good luck.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.