Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my Freedom changed to EMV chip

tag
dilettante
Established Contributor

Re: Got my Freedom changed to EMV chip

"i just like to have divesified set of cards an few visa and few mc."

Agree with you on that, that's why I changed my CSP and got a few others on the MC network. Hopefully, at least, when they convert my Freedom MC, they will send it with the chip.  That will take the sting out of losing my old FreedomSmiley Happy

Message 31 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Stanic413 wrote:

I thought about doing this, but recently used my Arrival+ EMV at WalMart and twice it said "card closed by consumer".  When I called Barclay, they had no record of the transaction at all and of course nothing saying I closed the account.  It's always worked fine before, now I'm kinda scared to use it at WalMart again. 

hmm i haven't even paid attention what places have emv chips machines. I probably wouldn't even know if i saw one .

Hmm Ill take a Picture of the one near CVS if I have a chance... Also have to figure out how to add pictures in here ( would that be allowed?)

There is one in CVS and there is the screen and then the pin pad and on the bottom a Slot to add a card in like you would in those MTA vending machines for metrocards.

I don't think i paid attention when i went to cvs because usually use my QS and it doesn't have emv chip maybe next time i should try looking and use my CSP 

I was at a Walmart where I guess they had just turned on the readers, and all the people who were trying to swipe with chipped cards were getting confused.   The error message was something like "Insert card in XXX" where XXX wasn't EMV!

Message 32 of 40
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Just ordered mine over the phone. Chip & Signature cards are accepted everywhere and you can swipe them just like regular magnetic strip cards. However places like Walmart are strctly using Chip cards with Chip reader and if try to swipe it wont accept. 

Do anyone know if CHASE is offering CHIP & SIG for Southwest card?

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 33 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

Just ordered mine over the phone. Chip & Signature cards are accepted everywhere and you can swipe them just like regular magnetic strip cards. However places like Walmart are strctly using Chip cards with Chip reader and if try to swipe it wont accept. 

Well, accepted everywhere except when chip&pin is required.

Message 34 of 40
slicemans
Regular Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

Its not really chip and signature card, because it still uses magnetic strip.

Message 35 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@slicemans wrote:

@sghosh5 wrote:

Well, it IS chip&sig.  These cards still retain mag stripe for backward compatability.   But the stripe cannot be used in activated readers.

Message 36 of 40
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@slicemans wrote:

@sghosh5 wrote:

Well, it IS chip&sig.  These cards still retain mag stripe for backward compatability.   But the stripe cannot be used in activated readers.

Which makes it a challenge when the reader isn't working properly. 

18k10k7.6k10k10k5k5.6k1.7k2k
Federal CU PLOC: $5k
Scores, Dec. 2014- TU: 755 EX: 763 EQ: 757
Last App: 12/8/14. In the garden until Jan 2016, getting "mortgage" ready.
Message 37 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Stanic413 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@slicemans wrote:

@sghosh5 wrote:

Right, but that's probably teething troubles.  It's also hard to use a mag stripe only card when those readers are broken (not too many merchants will bring out the carbon paper solution!)

Message 38 of 40
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Stanic413 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@slicemans wrote:

@sghosh5 wrote:

Right, but that's probably teething troubles.  It's also hard to use a mag stripe only card when those readers are broken (not too many merchants will bring out the carbon paper solution!)

I think I saw one a few months ago lol

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 39 of 40
noobody
Established Contributor

my MC convert to VISA, i did request replacement card online, received my card today, a non-signature card with EMV, without chase logo.

I scanned the mailer and use the stock image to update my profile.

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.