Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my PenFed card today!

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Got my PenFed card today!

Congrats! I love cash back cards. For me, I like getting 5% cash back on beer. HA HA!Smiley Very Happy
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Super Congrats!  Have fun!  Smiley Happy

A little humor:  In my household it's 95% ON, not 5% off  Smiley Very Happy

Just to keep perspective for DW, who has a terrible time passing up a good sale, bargain or discount Smiley Happy

Does DW know about all the wonderful shopping you can do online with ShopDiscover? You could "save" the gas as well then.

Smiley Very Happy

Oh, DW knows how to shop all super sales.  Her "gambling" or game is learning how to shop with matching ads combined with coupons. 

She never shops online unless she can get discounts through the CC's PLUS she almost always can google up an online coupon code.

The problem is that she is SO GOOD at finding sales, there is ALWAYS something that is a great buy.  LOL.  I love that little lady!

But my position is:  "It's not a good buy if you don't actually need it.  Good buy alone is not the reason to buy."

Therefore we have the agreement, we must state all purchases in the form of HOW MUCH ON it is, not how much off.  LOL.  It's my attempt at a little reverse psychology and perspective check.  Smiley Happy

Even so, there are certain treasures she comes across that she just can't resist.  LOL.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 21
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Looks like your lady has mastered the art of making you think it was your idea in the first place. Smiley Very Happy
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, not really.  She just knows that in the end, I have a real hard time saying no to her  Smiley Happy

She is good a saving money.  She just loves a sale or great buy, especially when she can combine various things like CC rewards, with sale, with coupon or matching ad, etc. 

One time several years ago, she went into a local IGA grocery store (not many of those left).  They offered double and triple value on coupons.

She purchased over $200 in groceries.  She purchased sale items combined with coupons (having the double/triple values).  When the final tally came up, they REFUNDED to her $17 in cash.

She walked out with over $200 in groceries plus $17 cash.....paid NOTHING!  I couldn't believe it.

Now, when she got home, we donated about 70% of the food to the local food bank because they were items we don't use or I don't allow (junk categories).

She would find an item that was marked down, for example, to 99 cents.  She would have a 50 cent coupon which got triple value.  This meant the product cost nothing and she got 51 cents credit toward the rest of her purchase. 

I won't shop with her, bless her heart.  I just don't have the patience to do all that.  But she sure thinks its a hoot!

Message 14 of 21
monicar2009
New Contributor

How you guys getting 5% back off things such as  laptops and lcds?

The penfed card

• Earn 2% cash back on supermarket purchases*
  • Earn 5.00% cash back from gas purchases paid at the pump*
  • Earn 1.25% cash back from all purchases** you make with the card during each billing cycle

What am I missing?

Message 15 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

hobojon posted about this:

PenFed back to school promotion
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@monicar2009 wrote:

The penfed card

• Earn 1.25% cash back from all purchases** you make with the card during each billing cycle

What am I missing?

If you have the card (possibly even if just a member) you received an email regarding the back to school promo as well.

Message 17 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

@monicar2009 wrote:

The penfed card

What am I missing?

If you have the card (possibly even if just a member) you received an email regarding the back to school promo as well.

yes, at first i thought, pretty cruel- they're mocking me Smiley Very Happy (haven't been approved for products) but i guess they send the loan promo info to members without products as well.

congrats once again to OP!

Message Edited by score_building on 08-02-2009 04:47 PM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 18 of 21
Lyythine
Established Contributor

txjohn,

your wife sounds like my mother before she went back to work...  She was off the entire time my sister and I were growing up and would sit at home for hours going through local ads and coupons to get the best deal - then go shopping, which included at least 3 different grocery stores so she could buy certain products at the certain stores she knew to offer them at the lowest price.  My sister and I got to the point where we wouldnt go with her due to her shelling out 20+ coupons at the register...

Thank God she went back to work, even if part time after we both went to college - i can only imagine the damage she could have done if left to her own devices...

P.S. I forgot to add that she had a filing cabinet where she categorized coupons depending on their category... CRAZY, CRAZY woman - but I love her none-the-less... 

Message 19 of 21
pattycake
Established Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@monicar2009 wrote:

The penfed card

What am I missing?

yes, at first i thought, pretty cruel- they're mocking me Smiley Very Happy (haven't been approved for products) but i guess they send the loan promo info to members without products as well.

congrats once again to OP!

Message Edited by score_building on 08-02-2009 04:47 PM

Thank you - in time you will qualify, I just know it!!!  I have to thank the good folks here at this forum, including creditwherecreditisdue, who egged me on. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.