Reply
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 16,375
Registered: ‎03-12-2007
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!

Congrats! I love cash back cards. For me, I like getting 5% cash back on beer. HA HA!:smileyvery-happy:
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1, EQ 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Visa ~ CITI Dividend Platinum World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,214
Registered: ‎09-12-2008
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!


creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

txjohn wrote:

Super Congrats!  Have fun!  :smileyhappy:

 

A little humor:  In my household it's 95% ON, not 5% off  :smileyvery-happy:

 

Just to keep perspective for DW, who has a terrible time passing up a good sale, bargain or discount :smileyhappy:


Does DW know about all the wonderful shopping you can do online with ShopDiscover? You could "save" the gas as well then.

 

:smileyvery-happy:


 

Oh, DW knows how to shop all super sales.  Her "gambling" or game is learning how to shop with matching ads combined with coupons. 

 

She never shops online unless she can get discounts through the CC's PLUS she almost always can google up an online coupon code.

 

The problem is that she is SO GOOD at finding sales, there is ALWAYS something that is a great buy.  LOL.  I love that little lady!

 

But my position is:  "It's not a good buy if you don't actually need it.  Good buy alone is not the reason to buy."

 

Therefore we have the agreement, we must state all purchases in the form of HOW MUCH ON it is, not how much off.  LOL.  It's my attempt at a little reverse psychology and perspective check.  :smileyhappy:

 

Even so, there are certain treasures she comes across that she just can't resist.  LOL.  :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator


09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,831
Registered: ‎04-20-2007
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!

Looks like your lady has mastered the art of making you think it was your idea in the first place. :smileyvery-happy:
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,214
Registered: ‎09-12-2008
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!

No, not really.  She just knows that in the end, I have a real hard time saying no to her  :smileyhappy:

 

She is good a saving money.  She just loves a sale or great buy, especially when she can combine various things like CC rewards, with sale, with coupon or matching ad, etc. 

 

One time several years ago, she went into a local IGA grocery store (not many of those left).  They offered double and triple value on coupons.

 

She purchased over $200 in groceries.  She purchased sale items combined with coupons (having the double/triple values).  When the final tally came up, they REFUNDED to her $17 in cash.

 

She walked out with over $200 in groceries plus $17 cash.....paid NOTHING!  I couldn't believe it.

 

Now, when she got home, we donated about 70% of the food to the local food bank because they were items we don't use or I don't allow (junk categories).

 

She would find an item that was marked down, for example, to 99 cents.  She would have a 50 cent coupon which got triple value.  This meant the product cost nothing and she got 51 cents credit toward the rest of her purchase. 

 

I won't shop with her, bless her heart.  I just don't have the patience to do all that.  But she sure thinks its a hoot!

 

 

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator


09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
New Contributor
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎03-24-2009
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!

How you guys getting 5% back off things such as  laptops and lcds?

 

The penfed card

 

  • Earn 2% cash back on supermarket purchases*
  • Earn 5.00% cash back from gas purchases paid at the pump*
  • Earn 1.25% cash back from all purchases** you make with the card during each billing cycle

 What am I missing?

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!

hobojon posted about this:

PenFed back to school promotion
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,923
Registered: ‎04-19-2009
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!


monicar2009 wrote:

How you guys getting 5% back off things such as  laptops and lcds?

 

The penfed card

 

  • Earn 2% cash back on supermarket purchases*
  • Earn 5.00% cash back from gas purchases paid at the pump*
  • Earn 1.25% cash back from all purchases** you make with the card during each billing cycle

 What am I missing?


If you have the card (possibly even if just a member) you received an email regarding the back to school promo as well.

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,689
Registered: ‎01-10-2008
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!

[ Edited ]

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

monicar2009 wrote:

How you guys getting 5% back off things such as  laptops and lcds?

 

The penfed card

 

  • Earn 2% cash back on supermarket purchases*
  • Earn 5.00% cash back from gas purchases paid at the pump*
  • Earn 1.25% cash back from all purchases** you make with the card during each billing cycle

 What am I missing?


If you have the card (possibly even if just a member) you received an email regarding the back to school promo as well.


yes, at first i thought, pretty cruel- they're mocking me :smileyvery-happy: (haven't been approved for products) but i guess they send the loan promo info to members without products as well.

 

congrats once again to OP!

Message Edited by score_building on 08-02-2009 04:47 PM
FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Established Contributor
Posts: 638
Registered: ‎03-05-2009
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!

txjohn,

 

your wife sounds like my mother before she went back to work...  She was off the entire time my sister and I were growing up and would sit at home for hours going through local ads and coupons to get the best deal - then go shopping, which included at least 3 different grocery stores so she could buy certain products at the certain stores she knew to offer them at the lowest price.  My sister and I got to the point where we wouldnt go with her due to her shelling out 20+ coupons at the register...

 

Thank God she went back to work, even if part time after we both went to college - i can only imagine the damage she could have done if left to her own devices...

 

P.S. I forgot to add that she had a filing cabinet where she categorized coupons depending on their category... CRAZY, CRAZY woman - but I love her none-the-less... 

Established Contributor
Posts: 760
Registered: ‎04-30-2007
0

Re: Got my PenFed card today!


score_building wrote:

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

monicar2009 wrote:

How you guys getting 5% back off things such as  laptops and lcds?

 

The penfed card

 

  • Earn 2% cash back on supermarket purchases*
  • Earn 5.00% cash back from gas purchases paid at the pump*
  • Earn 1.25% cash back from all purchases** you make with the card during each billing cycle

 What am I missing?


If you have the card (possibly even if just a member) you received an email regarding the back to school promo as well.


yes, at first i thought, pretty cruel- they're mocking me :smileyvery-happy: (haven't been approved for products) but i guess they send the loan promo info to members without products as well.

 

congrats once again to OP!

Message Edited by score_building on 08-02-2009 04:47 PM

 

Thank you - in time you will qualify, I just know it!!!  I have to thank the good folks here at this forum, including creditwherecreditisdue, who egged me on. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.