Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my foot in the door with AMEX Zync

tag
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Got my foot in the door with AMEX Zync

Hey everyone! I have been lurking on here for a little while now and decided to join in on the conversation.  I'm hoping to be able to buy a home in 2-3 years, and am trying to get my score up to the 750-800 range before then so I can get the lowest rate possible.

As of right now, my Eqifax score is a 706 (FICO), and I still need to buy my TU and EX scores.

I noticed that one of the things that hurt my score was "the percentage of department store accounts or charge cards to all of the accounts in your file."  I had no "Other" accounts.  Also, my 2 revolving lines were sitting at 30% usage just off of my monthly expenditures (I have always waited till the end of the month to pay in full, but now realize I should have done it before the statement).

Bottom line - a charge card would help both my credit mix and use of my 2 revolving credit lines (as I could charge on the charge card and keep those accounts in just the 5-10% usage range).  So I applied for Zync and got instantly approved!  Ultimately I would like to get the PR Gold card, but was too afraid of being denied to apply.  I might go for it in January to take advantage of backdating and then cancel my Zync.

So for a hard pull and a drop in my AAoA from 2.6 years to 2.3 years, I get a bump in credit mix and utilization.  Hoping to get some more help from the forums here as I go forward so I can reach my goal.  Just really excited to get my foot in the door with AMEX, and can't wait to get the card next week.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Got my foot in the door with AMEX Zync

Congrats. The zync is a pretty nifty card, it's got a pretty low AF, pretty easy to get, and a great way to get in with amex. Use it well, it seems you're on the right track.
Message 2 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Zync is a great card. I personally don't see value in pr gold unless you travel a lot. Congrats on zync! Instead of a different charge card in January; you may consider blue cash everyday or even costco. true.earnings.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 8
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

congrats.  Btw

Ex score is no longer available for purchase

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 4 of 8
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone! What's the most cost efficient way to stay on top of all my credit scores? I would like to keep track of them at least quarterly to see how my work is paying off.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 5 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Thanks everyone! What's the most cost efficient way to stay on top of all my credit scores? I would like to keep track of them at least quarterly to see how my work is paying off.

My recommendation would be to subscribe to a few services:

1 & 2 - would be SW and TU Quarterly monitoring found within this link http://www.myfico.com/Products/Products.aspx

3 - would be USAA CMS found here https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/creditcheck_monitoring_main so that when you get SW alerts, you can then log-in to USAA CMS and pull all 3 reports for free to find out what exactly changed.

I have all 3 and couldn't be happier with either of them!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 8
rosegardener
Established Member

Congrats to my fellow Zyncer!

+1 on USAA CMS.  It can be a tad slow to update sometimes I have found, but it is a great product and worth the price.  I have also seen various promo codes floating around and even success stories with asking USAA to lower the price.  Good luck!

In the wallet: USAA MC $4k, Citi Expedia MC $2k, Discover More $1k, Zync $500, American Eagle $1.9k, Amazon Store $1.5k, Lowes $1k, Belk $1.4k, Macy's $500, Abercrombie $350, VS $350
Score: 702 (Discover approval 08/03)
Goal: 800 Club
Picking up my intro spade and stepping in the garden. Let's grow some pretty roses!
Message 7 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Wait untill January to AP for the PRG Gold or other AMEX card, for maximum backdating effect. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.