cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my new CapOne QS card - disappointed!

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Got my new CapOne QS card - disappointed!

@ecocredit wrote:

The card looks cheap and I almost threw it out because I thought it was fake. I ordered a customized card. Hoping it'll have raised (embossed?) letters and would look like a real credit card Smiley Happy

You'll be happy with the custom cards... I have 2 and they have the raised letters/numbers and look much more real.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 31 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish they at least embossed the card. I want it how it looks like in the commercials lol.

Message 32 of 55
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

@RCFL wrote:
For me, I like the design and the embossed numbers and info on the card ! I think it's unique and it's different than my other cards. I like it the way it is. Classy not cheap hahah ... That's just me.   
                       +1

Message 33 of 55
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

How wasteful - to throw awa a card because it is thin, something that spends about 99% of the time hidden away.

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 34 of 55
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

I completely agree, how cheap of them to mail you a card that does not look like its made of a high quality carbon fiber material! On another note, i do feel sincerely bad about having wasted around 10 minutes reading a thread about a cheap feeling card......please cancel it now it will save you on complaints about capitol one in the future!

Message 35 of 55
ecocredit
New Contributor

Wow! I did not expect this thread to go out of control. Let me clarify -

1. When I got the card, I expected it to look / feel same or higher quality than the non-rewards Platinum card that I had. I have not ever seen a Discover IT card so I did not even realize such cards existed. All the cards that looked like it have been in spam mailers.
  2. I've presented some overseas debit / travel cards which look very similar to this one and I've had clerks at the check out line double check whether it was even a real card although it had the Visa/Mastercard logo on them. They have verified my id almost always because the card was not "normal". On a few ocassions I asked them why did they need to verify my id and whether it was because it was obtained overseas. They always said that the card doesn't look like the typical credit/debit card. I really dislike explaining anybody why the card looks different. I usually don't get bothered by such things except when I have to spend my time and energy explaining.
  3. I don't particularly like CapOne but I don't hate them as much as some folks in this thread. I was never a sub-prime customer. I have always had good credit. The only shortcoming was the length of credit history. CapOne and BoA have been horrible about my CLs. However after escalating to CapOne's EO and asking for a 25K CL, they countered it with a 5K CL which isn't bad all things considered. My other (newer) cards are at 25K each and CapOne raised the limit > 3x than my previous limit of 1.5K. Not the best however better than getting nothing, right? Their 1.5% CB is definitely better than other cards and it's become my go-to card for any purchase that would otherwise earn a 1% reward on my other cards. So no complaints there either.
  4. Finally, I don't really care about how the card looks, I care about the limit and the rewards.
Message 36 of 55
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@ecocredit wrote:

Wow! I did not expect this thread to go out of control. Let me clarify -

1. When I got the card, I expected it to look / feel same or higher quality than the non-rewards Platinum card that I had. I have not ever seen a Discover IT card so I did not even realize such cards existed. All the cards that looked like it have been in spam mailers.
  2. I've presented some overseas debit / travel cards which look very similar to this one and I've had clerks at the check out line double check whether it was even a real card although it had the Visa/Mastercard logo on them. They have verified my id almost always because the card was not "normal". On a few ocassions I asked them why did they need to verify my id and whether it was because it was obtained overseas. They always said that the card doesn't look like the typical credit/debit card. I really dislike explaining anybody why the card looks different. I usually don't get bothered by such things except when I have to spend my time and energy explaining.
  3. I don't particularly like CapOne but I don't hate them as much as some folks in this thread. I was never a sub-prime customer. I have always had good credit. The only shortcoming was the length of credit history. CapOne and BoA have been horrible about my CLs. However after escalating to CapOne's EO and asking for a 25K CL, they countered it with a 5K CL which isn't bad all things considered. My other (newer) cards are at 25K each and CapOne raised the limit > 3x than my previous limit of 1.5K. Not the best however better than getting nothing, right? Their 1.5% CB is definitely better than other cards and it's become my go-to card for any purchase that would otherwise earn a 1% reward on my other cards. So no complaints there either.
  4. Finally, I don't really care about how the card looks, I care about the limit and the rewards.

i do not think its out of hand, its just a "what were you expecting". i will agree the first quicksilver i had did feel a little odd, the solution is to make a custom image and have a new card mailed. personally i have a few custom cards, one has a 41 inch northern pike that weighed 19 pounds, another is my "black" card (the no af type), and the last being literally a picture of a butt crack (don;t ask and yes they approved it)

Message 37 of 55
core
Valued Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:
i do not think its out of hand, its just a "what were you expecting".

Yeah exactly.  Every thread about Crapital One turns into a pile-on.  Gee, I wonder why that is?  Followed, of course, by the Cap One fanboys who get irritated by all the complaints and say nothing more useful than "close the card if you don't like it".  Funny, that's pretty much Capital One's own solution to everything too!  They should change their phone menu to the following and save a bunch of money on employee wages:

To check your balance, press 1.

For payment information, press 2.

For any other reason, please close your account and reapply.  Please note that this will be a triple hard pull.

The whole reason they do triple pulls is to trash your score as much as possible so you're not tempted to apply for competitor's cards.  Same reason they weren't reporting limits waaay back.

Message 38 of 55
pinkbetty
Established Member

The embossed raised numbers are a holdover from the days of yore when an actual manual machine had to used  with actual paper forms to  imprint a form for your charging pleasure, complete with triplicate copies (Merchant, Customer, Bank) and a manual phone call for an authorization code for charges above a certain dollar amount.

I haven't had to use one of those machines for a decade and even then it was during a power failure.

There are days when I miss my rotary dial Princess phone, too, but that doesn't make me feel like my iPhone is "cheap". 

Message 39 of 55
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@core wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:
i do not think its out of hand, its just a "what were you expecting".

Yeah exactly.  Every thread about Crapital One turns into a pile-on.  Gee, I wonder why that is?  Followed, of course, by the Cap One fanboys who get irritated by all the complaints and say nothing more useful than "close the card if you don't like it".  Funny, that's pretty much Capital One's own solution to everything too!  They should change their phone menu to the following and save a bunch of money on employee wages:

To check your balance, press 1.

For payment information, press 2.

For any other reason, please close your account and reapply.  Please note that this will be a triple hard pull.

The whole reason they do triple pulls is to trash your score as much as possible so you're not tempted to apply for competitor's cards.  Same reason they weren't reporting limits waaay back.

Can I be a Capital One fan boy (oops, forgot the hilarious Crapital One!).     When you apply for a competitor card, if the competitor is pulling just one bureau (otherwise they are as bad as Capital One, right?) Cap One's triple pull is pretty indistiguishable from any other lender that pulled just on that bureau.   So it really doesn't trash your score as much as possible.  It puts one inq on each bureau, which is not nearly as harmful as some here suggest.

Message 40 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.