cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my new card today but they forgot the last letter of my first name...

tag

Got my new card today but they forgot the last letter of my first name...

So with that said should I just go ahead and activate it and use the card regardless? Or will that create problems further down the road.

I could always call them and ask them to correct it and try expediating the card in (1-2 day shipping).

What would you guys do and what negative effects would using a card that's missing the last letter of my first name do?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Re: Got my new card today but they forgot the last letter of my first name...

I'm sure it will make a difference depending on which firm you plan on making majority of your purchases with in person. So I would recommend having it corrected.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 2 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@CraigCreditGuy wrote:

So with that said should I just go ahead and activate it and use the card regardless? Or will that create problems further down the road.

I could always call them and ask them to correct it and try expediating the card in (1-2 day shipping).

What would you guys do and what negative effects would using a card that's missing the last letter of my first name do?

Does your account show your name correctly or is it also misspelled?   If it's also wrong then you should definitely call them to correct.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 10
newhis
Valued Contributor

Is also possible that you will end with that name (missing letter) reported to the bureaus as names used.

My DW now have 3 different names reported to the bureaus because the last name she has contain 2 words. First credit cards reported both, then chase reported last name as the second word, and JCP now reported her last name only the first word.

Message 4 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Chase did the same thing to me, except it was my last name they forgot the letter on, call the lender up, they will fix it and send you a new card, they should tell you just to keep using the current card untill you get its replacement.  You may also notice later the the incorrect name may show up on one or more of your Credit reports as an alias, it did on mine, I haven't bottered to have it removed, yet. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 10
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

I would ask them to correct it now. They can always send you another card.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 6 of 10
CreditPlay
Frequent Contributor

You can activate but you should get it corrected before it starts reporting. Lenders like chase keep double pulling at the time of app or cli when your identity does not match. I had this same problem and i got it corrected across all CRAs now. I stopped apping for chase due to the fear of double pull, they did twice on me

FICO08 12/2014EQ 777TU 799EX 767

Message 7 of 10
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

@newhis wrote:

Is also possible that you will end with that name (missing letter) reported to the bureaus as names used.

My DW now have 3 different names reported to the bureaus because the last name she has contain 2 words. First credit cards reported both, then chase reported last name as the second word, and JCP now reported her last name only the first word.

+1, mostly ur name wil b reported different n u cannot c it in ur CR.

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me with CapOne like 2 weeks ago, called them up and they were able to overnight a replacement card with the correct name.

Message 9 of 10

Thanks for the replies guys. This was Chase who did it so I hope they don't start double pulling in the future for a mistake they made. I wrote my name correctly on the app too.  I remember triple checking it making sure it was correct.

I hope this name doesn't show up at all in the future. I mean I haven't activated the card so I hope that means nothing has been recorded yet.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.