Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got rejected

tag
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Re: Got rejected

It's always a YMMV, some people with old CO have been able to approve. Maybe you can try it again and explain to the CSR why you had it and mention how you have been working hard to rebuild your credit and how you been paying your Capone card on time. Maybe the CSR may be more willing to work with you if you explain yourself. You never know until you try again. 

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DCP883 wrote:

Wast of time folks.  Got rejected again due to a so past charge off from years ago. Sad thing is this will now show up as a hard inquiry on my credit.

You've evaded the question.  Precisely how old is the charge off  and what other derogatories are on your credit report?

If they are recent (and, yes, 2 years is recent) and the CO is unpaid, you can recon until the cows come home and get nothing but a high phone bill for your efforts.

Message 22 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I got approved for Discover with a four year old PAID Charge Off... even if it was removed after lol...

but when I apped with a 2 year old CO paid.. the same one.. I got denied.

Mine has since been removed, however.

Good luck! Discover is a tough cookie to crack.

I got my $4k Motiva with a 688 EQ Fico.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 23 of 30
gpfirestone
New Contributor

I applied for a Discover on a whim since I don't have one and my score is 740.  I was denied.  I laughed it off seeing as it was just going to be a CC for the kitchen droor.  I heard they have really cracked down on approvals.  They are probably the toughest card to get now. 

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 24 of 30
gpfirestone
New Contributor

I have no idea why I wrote droor instead of drawer

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 25 of 30
Bobert22
Contributor

@gpfirestone wrote:

I applied for a Discover on a whim since I don't have one and my score is 740.  I was denied.  I laughed it off seeing as it was just going to be a CC for the kitchen droor.  I heard they have really cracked down on approvals.  They are probably the toughest card to get now. 

Credit score alone does not determine your approval. It also depends on AAoA, Inquiries within past 12 months, late payments/derogatory marks, and income.

Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 26 of 30
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

I guess Discover can be weird at times. I got approved with 2 unpaid and one paid chargeoff from 2006/2007. Got approved back in August 2012. My AAOA was under 2 years. Also had a small paid collection about a year old. My score according to the letter was 687 (TU Fico).

If Cap1 is the only CC on your report then i would suggest getting a secured CC with a good deposit. I have 2 secured CC plus Cap1 when Discover approved me.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 27 of 30
sphinx313
Established Contributor

ROFL that is the funniest typo/recognition of a typo I have ever seen. Carry on.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 30
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Im thinking Discover is also sensitive to overall credit limits with other credit cards. Maybe they take your pay against your credit limits and use that as a potential approval model. This would not suprise me.

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 29 of 30
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Bobert22 wrote:

@gpfirestone wrote:

Credit score alone does not determine your approval. It also depends on AAoA, Inquiries within past 12 months, late payments/derogatory marks, and income.

and also to how many accounts you had in the past, what your credit line has been and what you have done in the last few month. I pushed both Chase and Discover to the limit and know that I am very lucky to have been approved after recon  with my recent behaviour. High scores, 2 accounts only for many years, 8.5K CL, not many INQ and all the sudden 6 accounts with 30K+ CL is an alarming situtation for any responsible lender!! They have my full understanding. My apps got cancelled not declined and both Discover and Chase wanted to get a 2nd hard pull a few weeks later.  Since I did intend to garden anyhow I accepted and got approved  and have full understanding of their precaution. Who in the world would need to triple the CL within 6 weeks  if not in financial need? I had to explain and yes I do not need the credit but wanted the nice cards no matter which CL they would give me. With the Discover card I simply need to pay a bit different to avoid punishment for util but since I do not want to pay off and PIF it does not matter.  Since all of my new accounts are monitored closely  I am now a bit scared that Cap1 and AX could also get scared as just recently hit the CLI button on AX to see if the 5K initial CL could get up after 61 days. Was too scared to 3 x but tried to 2 x and got approved. This might further scare off Chase and Discover so I hope this will not make them close my accounts again. I will PIF and behave and for sure now NOT  touch CLI buttons anywhere and NO further apps unti 2014.  Definitely gardening and behaving well ! 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.