cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got reply from Discover, disappointed at its reward program.

tag
stone
Regular Contributor

Got reply from Discover, disappointed at its reward program.

After several corresponding with Discover customer service, I found their reward program is not the same as I was though.

I was thinking I can

1. earn up to $300 reward on season 5% catalog

2. earn 1% on everything else

BUT the fact is

1. Earn 5% cashback on up to $300 purchasing, that means i can earn up to $15 each quarter

2. Annual purchases totaling up to $3,000 earn .25% Cashback Bonus
3. Annual purchases totaling $3,000 and over earn a full 1% Cashback Bonus

Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Re: Got reply from Discover, disappointed at its reward program.

You are partially correct. Take a look at next years calendar. They are matching the chase freedom's 5% spend caps to $1500 each quarter. If they would have done that last year I would have gotton 4X the cashback bonus I did. 

As far as the 0.25% until 3k, it sucks but if you think about it 1% of 3K is $30, .25% of 3k is $7.50 so you miss out on $22.50 worth of rewards. Hopefully they will change that since they have finally woke up to match the Freedom card. 

Discover should earn more than a Visa card by nature, but apparently not. 

Message 2 of 3
stone
Regular Contributor

Re: Got reply from Discover, disappointed at its reward program.

@nada9188 wrote:

You are partially correct. Take a look at next years calendar. They are matching the chase freedom's 5% spend caps to $1500 each quarter. If they would have done that last year I would have gotton 4X the cashback bonus I did. 

As far as the 0.25% until 3k, it sucks but if you think about it 1% of 3K is $30, .25% of 3k is $7.50 so you miss out on $22.50 worth of rewards. Hopefully they will change that since they have finally woke up to match the Freedom card. 

Discover should earn more than a Visa card by nature, but apparently not. 

The only thing good i think is ShopDiscover for online, but ebates.com is also not bad too.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.