cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the AMEX Preferred Rewards Gold cuz you guys told me AMEX usually pulls EX only!

tag
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Got the AMEX Preferred Rewards Gold cuz you guys told me AMEX usually pulls EX only!

OK, I went for the Amex Gold online last Saturday. My Fico's from 5/2 were TU 690 EQ 665 EX 761! All the baddies are gone from EX only.

When I tried to enter my address which is over 20 characters I abbreviated it. I then got a message that I needed to call a number to "verify my address". Of course that had to be Monday. I was thinking the worst: FR, 2 more pulls, copies of utility bills, etc.

Well they called ME on my cell about 1 Monday and the lady said she was with Amex and was calling about my application. I said that I had difficulty entering the address. She was very nice, said she would enter the whole address. Then after a very short pause, "Congratulations, you will receive your Gold card in the mail in 7-10 days."

Smooth!

I conduct training seminars in hotels, and have been paying with cash and my PayPal account debit card. It runs about $1000 a month for the meeting rooms. Since there is no preset limit on the Gold, how do I know what they will approve? Should I do a few hundred the first couple of months?   It seems like a great way to track expenses and earn the ticket rewards.

I NEVER would have tried anything AMEX without the knowledge from this board. Thank you!

Onward and upward!
"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Got the AMEX Preferred Rewards Gold cuz you guys told me AMEX usually pulls EX only!

hi wtg. to find out your max spending power on your new charge card, you can call AMEX and ask them to run a test so they can find out your max. Few about members were talking about this a few weeks ago. Once again WTG on your new AMEX card.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 2 of 10
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Re: Got the AMEX Preferred Rewards Gold cuz you guys told me AMEX usually pulls EX only!

Congrats. A little info goes a long way.
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

s long as you let them know prior to unusual purchase-

There should be no problems- I have ran my Green well over 6K without any issues.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Super Congrats jaysdad2k!!!! Smiley Very Happy

You must be very proud of yourself!!! Smiley Happy
Your EX score is phenomenal and I'm glad that
everything worked out for you.

I agree with the others who have posted. Just contact
AMEX and let them know the deal. You shouldn't have
any problems, and running your monthly expenses
thru the AMEX Gold will do wonders for your credit.

Once again, Congratulations on your new card! Smiley Very Happy

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Great job! I have a ridiculously long address, too, and you should see the different variants on my reports.

Do you do these seminars in different towns, or are they all in one large metro area? The AmEx CSR told me that as long as the card usage is in your general home area, they won't particularly question them, but if you go out of town, you need to let them know.

It sounds like you're going to have some really unique card usage with your profession, and I'd advise asking them to note this on your files. Do you make the reservations far enough ahead of time that you can alert them to your plans? And even moreso in your case, always have a back-up card. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I call Amex and let them know when I am traveling and before I make any large purchases.

One time I got curious and called the CS for my Green card. They successfully ran a charge for 5k on it. I then asked if they could try a test charge of 10k and was informed for any purchase that large you to call ahead regardless.

I think it's just CYA on their part for fraud.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 10
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

That is really helpful!

Most of my seminars are in an adjacent state, about 200 miles away from home. I have a PO Box there where I receive most of my mail, but everyone always insists on the residence address for my accounts. So, after I get a statement I switch to online billing.

The PayPal card fraud center was calling me every other week because they couldn't figure out why I was making purchases 200 miles away sometimes hours apart. They noted my file, and I got a call last week for the first time in probably six months.

I schedule seminars about three months at a time. So, I should just call Amex and tell them most charges will be in those areas and they should be happy. I'll never rack up $5,000 or $10,000 a month on it. (But I did just have to move to a bigger hotel.)

Since it has no limit, what will the CR show?

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Here's fused's checklist for how these should report:

How AmEx charge cards should report

I got my Gold Rewards Plus on 3/18, and it still hasn't reported, which is just fine with me, since I don't need any other new accounts showing up! Maybe it will be a stealth tradeline. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone and Congrats on your AMEX GOLD!  WELCOME to the Family Brother!  I love my AMEX GOLD!

You will find great advice on this board on how to handle your card.  Advice will vary, just read and read as much as you can. 

I use it every chance I get and pay it the moment I see it post. 

You know AMEX loves when you do that!  LOL
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.